The information listed below should quell some of your concerns and answer some of your questions about counseling. Please feel free to call or stop by the Student Personal Counseling Center (SPCC). Along with providing counseling, we are available to answer questions, provide information and resources about mental health issues, and discuss careers in the field of counseling.

What Is Counseling?
Counseling is a voluntary relationship in which a professionally trained counselor meets with the student to discuss some issue or conflict. Counseling is a process by which change is sought through the expression of thoughts and emotions in a safe, supportive, non-judgmental forum. Counseling gives a student the chance to speak to a non-biased professional who is not affiliated with the student’s friends or family.

The goal of counseling is to help the student better understand thoughts, feelings, and relationships by looking at patterns of behavior. The student can expect a counselor to be someone who is available and interested in listening to the student’s concerns. The counselor’s role is to help the student develop effective strategies for coping with whatever is bothering them.

Who Should See a Counselor?
Anyone who is:

  • Feeling depressed, anxious, stressed, overwhelmed, low self-esteem, or lonely
  • Having difficulty relaxing
  • Worried about the future
  • Noticing changes in eating or sleeping habits
  • Gaining or losing weight
  • Having difficulty adjusting to college life
  • Having trouble attending classes, concentrating, or studying
  • Having problems with friends, roommates, or family
  • Having difficulty making or keeping friends
  • Worried about a friend and is unsure what to do
  • Anyone who just wants to talk
  • Experiencing grief bereavement
  • Increasing substance use, self-injurious behaviors
  • Experiencing conflicts over sexuality

What Types of Counseling Are Offered?

  • Individual Counseling is treatment for one student, who meets with one therapist. This offers the most attention to the student's individual concerns.
  • Groups are formed to create supportive forums for people with similar issues. In group counseling, 3-10 individuals meet at an assigned time with one or two group leaders. Members talk about what is currently going on in their lives and what may be troubling them. Group leaders and other group members are available to give support, offer alternatives, and feedback to members of the group. This treatment offers the student the opportunity to interact with others and learn from them as well as study their own relationship style. Students often encounter some social anxiety in starting group therapy; however it offers an ideal environment in which to challenge and overcome these feelings.
  • Couples Therapy (for Molloy students) is conducted with a couple in a marital or "significant other" relationship. Its purpose is to assist the couple to work together as partners to communicate, love and solve the problems of daily life. The establishment of realistic, adult expectations is usually an important goal.  

How Do I Access Services at the Student Personal Counseling Center?
If you're considering getting counseling at the SPCC, you can call us at 516.323.3484 or stop by our office in Kellenberg, Room 207. During the fall and spring Semesters, we are open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m..

What If I'm Having a Crisis?
If you're experiencing a crisis, contact Public Safety at 516.323-3500 if on RVC Main Campus. For all other Molloy College off- site locations, call 9-1-1.

What if a Parent, Faculty Member, or Staff Is Concerned About a Student?
Counselors are available during business hours to consult about a student and provide information and helping strategies. However, we prefer that the students seek counseling voluntarily and, therefore, the counseling staff avoids contacting students directly. If a student is in danger, contact Public Safety at 516.323.3500 if on RVC Main Campus. For all other Molloy College off-site locations, call 9-1-1.

Do the Services at the Student Personal Counseling Center Cost Anything?
No. There is no cost to see the counselors at the SPCC, and we do not bill your insurance company if you have insurance. As long as you are enrolled at Molloy (whether part-time or full-time), you have access to our services at no cost.

Who Will Know That I Came to the Student Personal Counseling Center for Help?
Only the people who work at the Student Personal Counseling Center will know that you came here, and the people you choose to tell. We offer confidential services and are firmly committed to maintaining your privacy. It is both illegal and unethical for any counselor to disclose any information about the existence of a counseling relationship or the nature of the counseling process to anyone including parents or faculty. No information can be released without the informed and written consent of the student. As noted in the informed consent, confidentiality can be breached if a student is in danger of fatally hurting himself/herself or another person or if he/she has a communicable disease and has not previously self-disclosed the nature and existence of that disease. Confidentiality may also be breached if the client reports current child abuse or elder abuse.

How Is the First Session?
When you contact our office, you will be scheduled for an up to 45-minute, face-to-face screening appointment. This is a specific time reserved for you. At the end of the session, appropriate options will be reviewed with you. These could include an appointment at the Student Personal Counseling Center (SPCC) for continued counseling or a referral to other resources in the community that can help you address your concerns. SPCC offers short-term counseling.

What Training Do the Counselors on Staff Have?
Each of the staff counselors is trained with at least a Master's degree in counseling and is licensed in the state of New York. The SPCC also serves as a training site with interns as counselors-in-training under close supervision.

Can I See a Psychiatrist at the Student Personal Counseling Center?
No, medication can only be prescribed by a psychiatric nurse (NP), psychiatrist (MD) or other medical personnel. The SPCC will help students find appropriate off-campus referrals options.