Undergraduate Speech Language Pathology FAQs


The Molloy College CSD Undergraduate Bachelor of Science in Speech-Language Pathology/Audiologyis unique in that it offers a nurturing environment, independent research experience and hands on, and an opportunity for one-on-one clinical experience with real clients under faculty supervision for all SLP majors.Ourcoursework and training comprise of a well-rounded degree in the science of human behavior that creates a sound foundation for a Master's degree in Speech Language Pathology, Audiology or other behavioral sciences and arts.

Nurturing academic environment
Small class sizes (15-30 students)
Individual attention and close relationship between faculty and students
Faculty advisement to guide class schedules, study and career
Opportunities for small-group international trips with a Speech-LanguagePathology/ Audiology focus

Independent Research Experience
Hands on independent research experience during senior year
Opportunity to present independent research at conference(s)
State of the art equipment for research

Hands on Clinical Experience
Opportunity for hands on clinical experience during senior year
Close supervision for student-clinicians by experienced Speech-Language Pathologists


Molloy's Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) department offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Speech Language Pathology/Audiology (SLP/A). The term CSD is often used to encompass the professional and academic fields associated with the speech, language and hearing sciences, and disorders affecting these systems. A Speech Language Pathologist is a professional who diagnoses communication disorders and delivers clinical services in speech, language, cognition, swallowing and feeding while an Audiologist does so for hearing.

These clinicians are able to diagnose, assess and treat speech, language, feeding, swallowing and hearing disorders. They can work in a school, hospital, clinic, or have their own private practice.

The SLP profession ranks within top 25 jobs in the U.S. with a nationwide median range salary of $69,000 - $75,000 (across the different settings) and an unemployment rate of 0.8. The profession of Audiology ranks at #26 in Healthcare jobs in the U.S with a nationwide median range salary of $72,000 to 83,000. Urban positions generally offer higher salaries than rural positions.


A minimum of a Master's degree is required to practice as an SLP and a Doctoral degree (Au.D.) is required to practice as an Audiologist. In addition a minimum of 9 months of Clinical Fellowship, passing the Praxis (in SLP or Audiology, as necessary), clinical certification, and obtaining a license in the practicing state are requirements for clinical practice in the United States.


A B.S. in SLP is not enough to become an SLP or an Audiologist. However there are several options for employment and/or further education upon earning a bachelor's degree in SLP/A. The following list is not exhaustive but gives an idea of the options available to those who have earned this degree with a strong foundation in human development and communication.

  • Pursue graduate education to become an SLP or audiologist
  • Get a Master's degree in fields other than SLP or Audiology, e.g.:
    • · Education
    • Special Education
    • Social Work
    • Epidemiology
    • Public Health
    • Mental health professions
  • You will be prepared for employment in the following capacities:
    • Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA-in certain states)
    • Administrative support in healthcare/ clinics/ educational centres
    • Child care facilities (Daycare, In-home childcare, summer care)
    • Eldercare/ support (E.g., senior living, nursing homes)
    • Hearing aid companies
    • Clinical materials industry
      • Assessment materials and tests (e.g., Pearsons)
      • Therapy materials companies (e.g., Thinking Publications, Super Duper, Linguisystems)
    • Non profit organizations in support of various disorders e.g.:
      • National Aphasia Association
      • Autism Society
      • Alzheimer's Association
    • Lab managers in CSD research laboratories
    • Early Intervention
    • Early education (Montessori, preschool programs, HeadStart)
    • Public Policy


You can apply for an Undergraduate B.S. program in SLP/A by declaring it as your major at the time of your application to Molloy College. You are then automatically admitted into the program if you are accepted into Molloy College as an undergraduate student. You can certainly complete a minor in SLP/A as well. A minor in SLP/A comprises of 18 credits that include courses in basic human communication, communication disorders and hearing sciences.


Yes, certainly. You are able to change into or out of the SLP/A major. Molloy College supports a change of major from one to another through a simple application form, earlier in the undergraduate career of course, is better than later. If you want to change your major from something else to Speech-Language Pathology/ Audiology as a Molloy College student, and you have a GPA of 2.5 or higher, you need to fill out an application with the registrar as well as one with CSD, and finally attend an interview with the CSD Undergraduate Program Director. If you are transferring from another college, you can declare your major as Speech-Language Pathology/ Audiology when you complete your transfer paperwork.


A full time B.S. in SLP/A at Molloy CSD involves the following courses take over 4 years.

1. 45 credits of General Education coursework

2. 45 credits of SLP/A coursework

a. Basic communication processes, including at least one course in each of the following: anatomy and physiology, the physics of sound, language development, phonetics (12 credits)
b. Introductory coursework in Speech-Language Pathology (6 credits)
c. Introductory courses in Audiology/ Hearing disorders (6 credits)
d. Theoretical basis in communication sciences and disorders (3 credits)
e. Clinical methods and observations (6 credits)
f. Clinical intervention courses (6 credits)
g. Independent research in SLP/A and Capstone project (6 credits)

3. 12 credits of SLP/A related coursework

a. Biological/ Environmental sciences (3 credits)
b. Physics/ Chemistry (3 credits)
c. Statistics (3 credits)
d. Advanced Writing (3 credits)

SLP/A courses are offered in a sequence that facilitates ease of learning and academic success, with courses on basic communication processes offered before courses on clinical disorders. This is followed by courses on clinical intervention and research at the end of the degree.

For a full time student taking around 16 credits per semester, (no summers, winters) this takes 4 years to complete. SLP/A courses start during the 2nd (sophomore) year in an undergraduate track and takes about 3 years' worth of coursework (as listed above) to complete. The courses are offered during particular semesters but the day and the time for a course may vary (any weekday, morning, afternoon, evening) from one semester to the next. Courses are 14-weeks long, in addition to a final exam week. Classes are typically 1 hour 25 minutes long and run twice a week.


A full time undergraduate major (B.S. in SLP/A) at Molloy College is traditionally only available through in-person courses. Our classes usually include 15-20 students. however, a number of courses during COVID-19 are being taught in an online synchronous fashion. However, if you already have a Bachelor's degree in something other than SLP/A or CSD and are looking for a change of career, we offer 7-week long SLP/A Prerequisite courses in a completely online asynchronous fashion all year round.


Financial aid to students via federal grants and scholarships as well as workstudy positions, are all available and managed by the Financial Aid department. CSD offers the Rising Star scholarship during the junior year of the program. Finally, CSD currently has 2 National Science Foundation Research Grants through Dr. Isabelle Barriere. These grants offer monetary stipends as well as extensive research opportunities for students. Unpaid research opportunities for undergraduate student are offered through 6 credits of coursework in the final year of study. Additionally, students are encouraged to engage in additional research opportunities in faculty labs and research in CSD.


You will have a faculty advisor from CSD to guide you as soon as you declare an SLP/A major, or minor.