Graduate Education FAQs


Yes, its New York State regulation. You could also take the MAT in its place.


No, you have until the end of your first semester. If the scores are not submitted to Admissions by then, a hold will go on your account and you will not be able to register for the next semester.


No, your Bachelor’s degree does not have to be in Education. We have many dual programs that will lead to initial and professional New York State certifications.


Simply go to this link and submit your application. Once Admissions receives your application along with any required transcripts. Your file will be sent to our office, in which we will then contact you to set up an interview.


Any official transcripts from previous colleges with a degree notation, two letters of reference, GRE or MAT score, and a Professional Goal Statement. Again, the GRE or MAT can be submitted before the ending of your first semester.


We can still conduct an interview with a “WIP- Work in Progress” transcript.


If accepted, your first semester will be registered by the interviewer. From then on, you will receive an e-mail from the Registrar’s Office giving you the dates that you can register for classes. You will then log onto Lion’s Den and reserve your courses through the “My Academics” tab. Once you reserve your courses, contact your Advisor so they can approve them.


Your Advisor will be assigned by the department. You can find who your Advisor is by logging onto Lion’s Den, going to the “My Academics” tab. Look in the Registration heading and click on the “When can I register” link. Continue on the Registration link to get a PDF report showing your Advisor, Classification, Web Registration Group, and Web Registration Add start date.


Molloy College will accept up to 6 Graduate level credits with a grade of “B” or better from another accredited college or university. The credits must have been completed within 5 years and must correspond in content to courses offered at Molloy.


Most usually complete their program within 2 years. But because of personal circumstances, work, or other reasons that is not always possible, so a specific completion time cannot be guaranteed by the department.


A Bachelor’s degree from an accreted college or university with a GPA of 3.0 or better. Candidates who wish to pursue a program leading to a Professional Certification must possess an Initial New York State Teaching Certification in the same area, and have the prerequisites required by New York State Education Department for the Professional Certification.


It is preferred that all prerequisites are met before entering the program, but if not, candidates have until the completion of 12 graduate credits to have completed and submitted all prerequisites to the Graduate Education Office.


Prerequisites, or more commonly referred to as pre-reqs, are usually undergraduate level courses that are required for New York State teaching certification purposes. NYS has different requirements based on the area of the certification you are seeking. Pre-reqs are discussed during the personal interview that is part of the application process. All undergraduate transcripts are reviewed, and any unmet course requirements are noted in the admission’s paperwork.
Important Note: In order for undergraduate coursework to count, a grade of ‘C’ or better is required.


Yes, accepted students can begin their program and take up to a total of 12 graduate credits while completing their prerequisites.


Prerequisites can be taken at any accredited institution that offers college credit-bearing courses. Remedial classes do not count.

Pre-reqs can also be fulfilled by taking a CLEP exam. The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) allows students to demonstrate their mastery of introductory college-level material and earn college credit by getting a qualifying score on the exam. For more information about CLEP exams, you can visit their website:


An official transcript from the institution where the prerequisites were taken needs to be sent to the Graduate Education office to the attention of the Certification Officer, Kerri-Ann Li. Electronic transcripts are also accepted, as long as they are sent directly from the institution to the certification officer. Transcripts can be mailed or emailed to:

Kerri-Ann Li
Department of Graduate Education
Molloy College – Kellenberg Bldg. 326
1000 Hempstead Avenue, PO Box 5002
Rockville Centre, N.Y. 11571-5002



Students must successfully complete all course requirements- a grade of B or better is required in all classes. In addition, student must pass all required field work for their specific program. Every student must also apply for graduation in their Lion’s Den account. (The Registrar’s office routinely sends out information regarding deadlines for graduation applications.)

The following requirements also need to be met:

  1. All prerequisites must be fulfilled and copies of all transcripts must have been sent and reviewed.
  2. All NYS workshops (Child Abuse, School Violence, and DASA) must be completed. The workshops should appear in your TEACH account, if not a copy of the workshop certificate must be provided to you advisor.
  3. Write-ups from all attended Molloy sponsored workshops must be submitted to your advisor.
  4. Participation in an exit interview with your advisor must be conducted during your last semester.


The taking and passing of all applicable certification exams is only a requirement for NYS. Even though it is not required for graduation purposes, students are strongly advised to begin preparing to take them during their time in the program. The issuance of teaching certificates is processed much quicker, if when you apply for certification, all required exams have been taken and passed.

Important Note: All non-certified teacher candidates must pass the EAS (Educating All Students Test) and edTPA (Teacher Performance Assessment) as well as the CST(s) (Content Specialty Test), which varies depending on your program. All certified teacher candidates are also required to pass additional CST(s) based on their current program.

To sign-up for certification exams, please visit the NYSTCE website at:


Program codes can be found on your status sheet. However, we advise students in an approved NYS education program not to apply for their teaching certification(s) until they’ve successfully completed their program and received a college recommendation.


First, in order to verify that a student has successfully completed their program and their degree has been conferred, an official Molloy transcript must be received. Once the transcript is reviewed, the Certification Officer, will then go on to the TEACH Online System and enter a college recommendation for the student. After the recommendation is submitted, the student will receive an email from the Graduate Education office with instructions on how to apply for their certification(s), along with the program code that is required for their application(s). Students can apply any time after they receive this email.


Anyone can search the NYSED website and use their “search certification requirement” tool to identify the specific requirements that must be met for any school related position in NYS that requires a valid certificate. You can follow this link to access the webpage: