New York Financial Aid Programs
General Eligibility Requirements for New York State Aid
To be eligible for TAP, you must:
- Complete and submit the FAFSA and TAP applications
- Be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Be a legal resident of New York state
- Study at an approved postsecondary institution in New York state
- Have graduated from high school, have a GED, or have passed a federally-approved exam that demonstrates the student can benefit from the education offered
- Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing(see the undergraduate college catalog page 31)
- Be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student taking 12 or more credits (applicable toward your degree program) per semester
- Have declared a major no later than within 30 days from the end of the add/drop period:
- In the first term of your sophomore year in an approved two-year program; or
- In the first term of your junior year in an approved four-year program
- Have at least a cumulative "C" average after receipt of two annual payments
- Be charged at least $200 tuition per year
- Not be in default on a federal student loan or on any repayment of state awards
- Meet New York State income limits
Meet income eligibility limitations.
New York State Aid Grants
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
Eligibility: New York State residents who are matriculated full-time students (12 credits or more per semester at Molloy) are eligible for this grant. Eligibility is based on the family's New York State net taxable income.
- Possible Amounts: Awards of up to $5,165 per year for first-time TAP recipients.
- For all other students, awards range from $425 to $4,925 (dependent students) and $2,950 (independent students).
- Molloy will provide an estimate.
- The actual amount of the award will appear on your TAP Award Certificate provided by Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).
- Application Process: Complete the TAP Application each year. If you file the FAFSA electronically, you will be linked to the HESC website to complete the Express TAP application. You may visit www.hesc.ny.org for more information.
Aid for Part-Time Students (APTS)
Eligibility: New York State residents who are matriculated at Molloy and are currently registered for part-time study (3-11 credits) are eligible to apply for this state grant.
- Possible Amounts: Awards for qualified students are up to $2,000 per academic year, depending upon tuition charges and funds availability.
- Application Process: Complete the APTS application for fall or spring semester at the Financial Aid office each academic year.
- Contact the Financial Aid office for application deadlines and requirements.
Veterans Educational Benefits are available for veterans who served in the U.S. Armed Forces after 1954. Aid is also available for children, spouses and survivors of veterans. For additional information about this program contact the Registrar Office or call the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1.888.442.4551. Also, visit their web site at U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Enhanced Tuition Awards (ETA)
Molloy College participates in the New York State Enhanced Tuition Awards Program (ETA). The Enhanced Tuition Awards (ETA) Program provides tuition awards to students who are New York State residents attending a participating private college located in New York State. Recipients will receive $6,000 through a combination of their TAP award, ETA award and a match from their private college. For qualification details and to apply, please visit Higher Education Service Corporation or contact NY State HESC at 1.888.697.4372.