Sociology and Anthropology
Immerse yourself in a discipline that offers a unique perspective on the complex and changing world we live in and has abundant career opportunities - Sociology. One of the most stimulating majors offered at Molloy College on Long Island, a Bachelor's degree in sociology will provide you with a wider view of society while preparing you to make an impact on the world.
- The good news for sociology majors is that your studies are uniquely suited to help you develop the skills you need for a successful 21st century career.
- Sociologists study social change, they study diverse communities and their interactions, and they use scientific methods to find empirical answers to complex social questions.
- Studying sociology can help you foster your creativity, innovation, critical thinking, analytic problem-solving and communications skills. Sociology will challenge you to see the world through the lens of different cultures and communities and give you opportunities to collaborate with others in developing multi-cultural and global understandings.
- Sociological methods can help you build strong math and science skills. Preparing papers about social problems, and the theories and evidence that can help us solve them, will foster the strong writing and presentation skills you need to succeed.
Anthropology is "the study of people," so if you are interested in human origins, ancient worlds, or global community, the minor in Anthropology is for you. Get a comprehensive understanding of human societies and cultures past and present. Anthropology not only helps students succeed in a very interconnected and complex world, but helps to develop critical thinking and communication skills. It also gives students the confidence to work individually or as part of a group.
At Molloy, you'll acquire broad and comprehensive insight into social behavior in both your personal and work life that you can translate into a rewarding and fascinating career.
Sociology Program and Anthropology Minor
With our sociology program and anthropology minor you'll benefit from:
- A faculty of outstanding scholars. All of Molloy's full-time faculty in sociology hold an advanced degree from a leading university. In addition, half of the full-time faculty have been awarded the Teaching Recognition Award that is given yearly by the Molloy senior class.
- Invaluable hands-on experience. All sociology majors have the opportunity to intern and gain valuable experience.
- Individualized attention. Come to us for advisement and you'll have our undivided attention. Our faculty spends considerable time with each student to ensure you're making the right course selections for your degree, career goals and personal interests.
- Community-based research. Through our advanced research methods course and the Dr. Joan Reidy Merlo Community Research Institute, you'll have ample opportunity to conduct a variety of studies.
- Broadly accepted degree. A degree in sociology prepares you to continue your education on the graduate level, or to begin work in your chosen field right away.
Stay connected and follow us on Twitter.
|Tweets by @MolloySociology|