Music Admissions and Auditions
An interview, an audition and a theory placement examination are required of all prospective music majors, music therapy majors and music education majors.The deadline for applying to this program was February 15.
All applicants, regardless of the program of interest, must audition. All applicants are expected to come to our Rockville Centre campus prepared to perform:
- A minimum of two works that demonstrate contrasting styles
- All major scales on primary instrument
- A sightreading example that is provided at the time of audition
In addition, applicants will be asked to match pitch and sightsing short patterns on a neutral syllable.
2017 Audition Dates
- Undergraduate: Friday, January 27, 2017, Friday, February 3, 2017, and Saturday, February 25, 2017
- Transfer: Friday, March 10, 2017
- Graduate: Friday, February 24, 2017, Saturday, February 25, 2017, and Friday, March 10, 2017
At the audition, you will be asked to perform two contrasting pieces on your primary instrument. You may be asked to sight read on piano and/or sight sing and if you've taken music theory in high school, you may be given a placement test. There will also be a brief interview. If you require an accompanist, please let Coleen know when you schedule your audition and she will ask that you send us your music in advance.
Theory Placement Exam
It is essential for entering students to take a theory placement examination to ensure proper advisement and placement in courses.
For more information, contact:
Coleen Petersen, Administrative Assistant, 516.323.3320
Lora Heller, Special Projects Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org. or 516.323.3336.