Music Admissions and Auditions
An interview, an audition and a theory placement examination are required of all prospective music majors, music therapy majors and music education majors. At the audition, you will be asked to perform two contrasting pieces on your primary instrument. If you require an accompanist, please let Coleen Petersen (email@example.com) know when you schedule your audition and she will ask that you send us your music in advance.
You may be asked to sight read on piano and/or sight sing and play scales.
All auditions take place at our Rockville Centre campus, unless otherwise indicated.
Theory Placement Exam: It is essential for entering students to take a theory placement examination to ensure proper advisement and placement in courses.
2018 Audition Dates
- Friday, December 8, 2017*
- Friday, January 26, 2018
- Saturday, February 3, 2018
- Friday, February 23, 2018
* New this year: Early Audition and Video Audition Submission for Out-of-State Students
We encourage prospective undergraduate and transfer students who have completed their application to Molloy to audition on our early audition date on Friday, December 8, 2017. Early applicants send a clear message to faculty that they are interested in pursuing musical studies at Molloy. As such, all accepted applicants auditioning in-person or through video submission on or by December 8 will be considered for a Performance Arts Scholarship of up to $7,000. This may be just one part of the scholarship package that Molloy offers.
- Friday, March 23, 2018
All applicants, regardless of the program of interest, must audition. All applicants are expected to prepare and perform:
- Two works that demonstrate contrasting styles
- Scales on primary instrument
- A sight reading example that is provided at the time of audition
In addition, applicants will be asked to match pitch and sight sing short patterns on a neutral syllable.
Repertoire choices for the audition should be in sheet music form (memorized if possible, especially for vocalists). Please bring an additional copy for the audition panel. We would like to hear at least one classical piece if possible.
Prior musical training and performance experience is required and expected of all incoming music majors.
Demonstrated ability in the following competencies is required:
- Musical Literacy: Reading musical notation with accuracy and fluidity.
- Musical Aptitude: Performing with quality tone, technique, and musical expression.
- Foundational Piano: Locating pitches on the keyboard that accurately correspond to sheet music in treble and bass clef.
- Aural Skills: Matching pitches provided with one's voice. Sight singing musical examples with accuracy in treble and bass clef.