Common Reading Program
Molloy College students, faculty, and staff participate in the College's Common Reading Program.
The Common Reading Program:
- Involves students, faculty, administrators, staff, and local residents in reading and discussing a book chosen by a college committee because of its important theme and its relevance to contemporary life.
- Revolves around a book that is required reading for FST 101, The College Experience, a course all freshmen take during their first semester.
- Serves as the subject of the College's Opening Convocation each fall. A prominent speaker (usually the book's author) comes to campus to talk about the book and explain the writing process involved.
- Is associated with various campus lectures and events corresponding to the book's subject matter.
- Is the catalyst for Inspired Works, a contest sponsored by the Common Reading Program Committee to reward creativity in student writers, artists, and musicians.
Common Reading Selections
|Coming to Molloy College in the fall of 2017? Pick up your copy of The Book of Unknown Americans, by Cristina Henriquez, at orientation in June!|
|Fall 2016: Drew Magary, author of the dystopian novel "The Postmortal", addresses the freshman class and then signs students' copies of the novel.|
Fall 2015: The graphic memoir, March, by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell.
Fall 2014: One Amazing Thing, by Chitra Divakaruni
Chitra Divakaruni, author of One Amazing Thing, shares her thoughts about story telling and writing with the class of 2018.
Fall 2013: Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
Author Ernest Cline addresses Molloy College's 2013 Opening Convocation, left, and signs autographs, right, for students.
His futuristic book, "Ready Player One," was the Common Reading selection this year.
Fall 2012: Mountains Beyond Mountains, by Tracy Kidder
Pulitzer Prize winning author, Tracy Kidder, addresses the freshman class at Molloy College's 2012 Opening Convocation. His book, Mountains Beyond Mountains, was the year's Common Reading selection.
Past Common Reading Program selections
- Fall 2014, One Amazing Thing, by Chitra Divakaruni
- Fall 2013: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Fall 2012: Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
- Fall 2011: Outcasts United: An American Town, a Refugee Team and One Woman's Quest to Make a Difference, by Warren St. John
- Fall 2010: Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
- Fall 2009: Hurry Down Sunshine, by Michel Greenberg