Individual Pathway Bilingual Education Extension Certificate
The coursework for the Bilingual Extension Certificate will offer all participants a course of study that effectively prepares them to meet the New York State teacher certification requirements and the New York City licensing requirements. The program prepares teachers to serve the special needs of bilingual learners in multicultural and multilingual schools by assisting them in developing language and disciplinary literacy skills in two languages that enable them to become college- and career-ready. To achieve this purpose, Molloy College offers intensive course work in language acquisition, bilingual education theory and methodologies, language arts and content area instruction and assessment for bilingual learners, grammatical and linguistic issues, cultural diversity, research methodologies, and practical teaching experiences in inclusive classrooms (including high needs schools in low socio-economic environments). Prerequisite for this program Candidates must have a valid base teaching certificate, e.g. Initial Childhood or Adolescent Education certification in a content area (other than TESOL or a modern language) and a passing grade on BEA (Bilingual Education Assessment).
Individual Pathway to Bilingual Extension Certificate Courses (18 credits):
- EDU 5130 Meeting the Needs of Culturally Diverse Students in Inclusive Classrooms in Birth-Grade 2, Childhood 1-6 and Adolescence 7-12
- EDU 5250 Teaching Literacy in the Native Language: Strengthening the Connection Between Languages
- EDU 5252 Introduction to Linguistics for TESOL And Bilingual Education Professionals
- EDU 5253 Second Language Acquisition, TESOL, And Bilingual Education: Theory and Practice
- EDU 5255 Interdisciplinary Teaching Methods and English Language Arts For PK-12 Bilingual English Language Learners
- EDU 5256 PK-12 TESOL and Bilingual Teaching Practices and Assessment In The Content Areas
Please note: All of the courses are part of our graduate education master's degree program and the only difference in the coursework is that there are no requirements for field study or student teaching. NYS does not require teachers who are NYS certified to complete student teaching again when they are applying for additional certification. The program is only open to teachers who are already NYS certified and have a master's degree.
- You must take EDU 5130 (Meeting the Needs of Culturally Diverse Students in Inclusive Classrooms in Birth-Grade 2, Childhood 1-6 and Adolescence 7-12) or EDU 5250 (Teaching in the Native Language) first.
- You can take EDU 5130 or EDU 5250 interchangeably.
- EDU 5252 (Linguistics) or EDU 5253 (Language Acquisition) can be taken be taken after EDU 5130 and EDU 5250.
- You can take EDU 5252 or EDU 5253 interchangeably.
- You must take EDU 5255 (Methods of Teaching ELA to Bilingual and Speakers of Other Languages) and EDU 5256 (Methods of Teaching English to Bilingual and Speakers of Other Languages) last after the other courses have been completed.
- You can take EDU 5255 and EDU 5256 interchangeably.
Schedule of Classes for Summer 2020 (fully online only/asychronous)
EDU 5130.04 - Meeting the Needs of Culturally Diverse Students in Inclusive Classrooms in Birth-Grade 2, Childhood 1-6 and Adolescence 7-12, 6/29 - 7/9/2020
EDU 5250.01 - Teaching Literacy in the Native Language: Strengthening the Connection Between Languages, 5/30 - 6/29/2020
EDU 5252.03 - Introduction to Linguistics for TESOL And Bilingual Education Professionals , 6/15 - 7/27/2020
EDU 5252.02 - Introduction to Linguistics for TESOL And Bilingual Education Professionals, 6/29 - 8/14/2020
EDU 5256.02 - PK-12 TESOL and Bilingual Teaching Practices and Assessment In The Content Areas, 7/10 -8/21/2020
EDU 5256.01 - PK-12 TESOL and Bilingual Teaching Practices and Assessment In The Content Areas, 7/20 - 8/24/2020
The courses will be offered at the discounted rate of $900 per course. The discounted program is limited to those teachers who have a master's degree, are not using the credits towards a Molloy degree and hold a valid New York State Teaching Certificate.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Space is limited and any openings will be listed in the schedule of classes on this webpage. If you should have any questions, please contact Alina R. Haitz, Associate Director at: 516-323-3572 and leave a message or by email: email@example.com prior to completing registration online.