Application and Registration Instructions
Graduate credit registration for the summer institutes will be available on or around March 5, 2018. Registration for institutes taken on a non-credit basis is available now.
The Summer Institutes for Teachers may either be taken for 3 graduate credits for $900 (no additional fees) or on a non-credit basis for in-service credits for either $495 or $795 for Advanced Placement Summer Institutes (no additional fees). Your tuition includes a binder of handouts from the instructor.
The registration deadline is three weeks prior to the start date of each institute. Late registration may be possible if space and materials are still available.
The application and registration process differs depending upon the type of credit that you would like to receive. Please refer to the instructions below for either graduate or non-credit (in-service) application and registration procedures.
A registration confirmation, with the classroom location will be sent upon receipt of your application and registration. If you should have any questions regarding the application or registration process, please contact Cindy Thomas at 516.323.3554 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration: Graduate Credit and Non Credit Procedures
Graduate Credit: Application and Registration Procedures
The registration process is rather simple because you are not applying for a Molloy degree. There is an online application that you need to complete, but that is for information purposes only. Everyone is accepted as long as you are a NY certified teacher. There is no application fee and GREs are not required. If you are enrolling in the program for the first time, it will take a few days to process your application online. You will be emailed a user name and password and then you just go into our online registration system and register for the particular course(s) that you wish to take at that time.
Molloy's online registration system is called Lion's Den. The Lion's Den web page can be found at: https://lionsden.molloy.edu/ics. There is a different process for those students who have previously enrolled in the program as opposed to those who are registering for the first time.
Previously Enrolled Summer Institute or Professional Development Students:
If you already have a Lion's Den account for Summer Institutes, TESOL or Ed Tech Teacher Professional Development courses you can log in and register for courses that have seat availability. You can register by visiting https://lionsden.molloy.edu/ics
(Please note: Molloy alumni will still have to apply as a New TESOL student even if you still have a Molloy account).
Please click the tab near the middle, top of the page, "Course Search". There are a number of ways to search for the course, but usually the fastest is to follow these steps:
1. Under "Term" there will be drop down. On the drop down for any institute that starts in June, use: "2018 Summer - Summer Institute 1 Professional Development" or for any institute that starts in July or August, use: "2018 Summer - Summer Institute 2 Professional Development". The click "Search" at the bottom of the page.
2. All of the institutes for either June or July and August will then appear depending if entered Institute 1 or 2 in your search.
3. The summer institutes all start with EDU 524 and will then be listed according to their section number: EDU 524.01, EDU 524.02, etc. Scroll through the courses until you find the section of the course that you wish to register for.
4. Once you have found the section of the course you wish to take, just check the "Status" of the course to see that it is "open", if so, just click the box next to the course code to register and pay for the course. If the status is "closed" you will need to select another section.
5. You can use MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or ACH check to pay for the course (Please do this when you register. If you do not pay at the time of your registration you will be dropped from your registration)
New Summer Institute or Teacher Professional Development Students:
How to set up your Lion's Den account
Teachers who are registering for the first time for the Summer Institutes for Teachers program or any Teacher Professional Development Program should click here to access the Lion's Den Portal and follow the steps below. After you create your account you can register for courses, access your unofficial transcripts and access Canvas, which is the online educational forum for hybrid and online courses.
Follow these steps to create your account
1. Once you enter the Lion's Den Portal, click on the, "Professional Development", tab
2. After reading the instructions, click on "Professional Development Application Form" at the bottom of the page.
3. Go to "Click here to start filing out this form" link in the middle of the page and click it.
4. On the first line, "Professional Development Cohort:", click the drop down and choose, "Institute - Professional Dev".
5. Complete the rest of the application.
6. Click "Submit" at the bottom of the page
7. Once you have submitted your application you will receive a confirmation e-mail that the application has been accepted. (Check your "spam" folder if you do not receive an email) You will then receive, in approximately 2 business days, another email which will include a temporary username and password to the e-mail address you provided when setting up your account
8. You can now log into Lion's Den with your username and password.
9. Follow the directions above under, "Current Summer Institute Students" to register for courses.
10. You will be notified within three business days to setup a permanent student account, this will include a Molloy student email account. All emails will now come to your Molloy email. Please be sure to set up your account. If you are taking institutes online, using your Molloy email and password will be how you will access Canvas, the online platform used in the all of the online courses.
Institutes that are conducted online will use Molloy's online platform called Canvas. Information on your course(s), such as assignments and the required textbook will be available on Canvas. To set-up your Canvas account, click here.
Drop/Add Course Section
If you need to change a section of a course that you are currently registered for, please do not attempt to drop one section and add another section in Lion's Den. Instead please contact Cindy Thomas at email@example.com or 516.323.3554.
If you need assistance with your registration, contact Cindy Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 516.323.3554.
Non-Credit/In-Service: Registration Procedures
Non-Credit, in-service credit tuition for each non-Advanced Placement Institute is $495 and is now available for registration. Tuition is $795 for AP Summer Institutes and is ongoing starting on January 22, 2018 up until the week before the institute begins. However, please note that institutes do close-out and you should try and register as soon as possible. You may register for the institutes on a non-credit, in-service basis online by clicking here, or by phone by calling 516.323.3550, or by mail or fax by downloading a Non-Credit/In-service Registration Form. Please note that students enrolled in this course on a non-credit, in-service basis cannot opt to take this course for credit once the course has begun.
Graduate Credit/Non-Credit Options and Grade Requirements
The summer institutes that are offered may be taken for graduate credit for professional development at the reduced rate of $900 per 3-credit institute or on a non-credit basis for in-service credit for $495 per institute. Each institute is limited to 25 participants, with the exception of our institutes where a lab is involved. In those instances the enrollment is limited to 12-16 participants. Qualified applicants will be accepted on a first-come/first-served basis. The registration deadline is three weeks prior to the start date of each institute. Late registration may be possible if space and materials are still available.
In-Service Credit Grade Requirements
You must attend each day to receive in-service credit. The grade given is a pass/fail based upon attendance.
Graduate Credit Grade Requirements
If you are taking the course for graduate credit, in addition to attending the institute each day, there is a project that is due within 2 weeks of the conclusion of the institute.
The Summer Institutes are all offered for 3 graduate credits and are approved as such by the New York State Department of Education. The institutes meet for 45 contact hours, of which 30 hours consist of classroom instruction and 15 hours consist of outside work, including a course project which is due within two weeks of the institute end date. This is the same breakdown of hours for all of our graduate courses that are offered during the fall and spring semesters on a 14-week schedule, the only difference is that the summer institutes are offered on a more intense schedule.
The institutes are all listed with the course code, EDU 524, which is part of our graduate course offerings in the Division of Education and can be used as an elective towards our Master of Science degree in Education. The general course description can be found on our website at: https://www.molloy.edu/academics/graduate-programs/graduate-education/graduate-level-courses.
Since this is a special topics course, the specific course descriptions differ depending upon the topic. The description of the EDU 524 courses offered as part of our Summer Institutes can be found by clicking the link: Institute Descriptions and Faculty Bios and then clicking on the area (ELA, Math, Science, etc).