Click here for the current schedule.
Important Notice: Register Now To Avoid Being Tested on the New Tax Laws!
Major tax law changes were enacted in December 2017, effective January 1, 2018. However, this change will not impact the EA exam for the testing period of May 1, 2018 to February 28, 2019. Therefore, candidates will be tested on the law in effect as of December 2017 as long as they take the EA exam prior to February 28, 2019.
IRS ENROLLED AGENT
An enrolled agent is a person who has earned the privilege of practicing, that is, representing taxpayers before any office of the Internal Revenue Service. An enrolled agent can negotiate with the IRS during examination and appeals, and act in place of a taxpayer signing consents and executing agreements on their behalf. An enrolled agent is the only professional granted a right to practice directly from the U.S. government. An enrolled agent is considered a tax specialist, which sets them apart from attorneys or CPAs who do not always specialize in taxes.
Benefits of Becoming an Enrolled Agent:
• IRS Examinations are up over 100% - According to enforcement results published by the IRS in 2009, examinations of individual returns increased over 100% since year 2000.
• Growing need for representation - With IRS enforcement activities on the rise, there is a growing need for enrolled agents who can assist taxpayers in dealing with IRS collection activities.
• Unlimited Earning Potential, Enrolled Agent Salary - You control your career. Why wait for someone to hire you? You can start your own business with unlimited earning potential.
• Recession proof career - Income taxes are not going away anytime soon. Competent representation is hard to find, and the enrolled agent designation can help you reach the pinnacle of your profession by allowing you to offer a wide range of services beyond just tax preparation.
• Expand your financial practice - If you are a financial planner already in the business of advising clients, an enrolled agent designation can provide you with an opportunity to offer additional services.
• Credibility - The credibility you gain as an enrolled agent can help you command higher fees than others who have not demonstrated their competence.
• Increased Expertise - Becoming an enrolled agent will improve your knowledge about the various rules and regulations and can help make you a better tax practitioner
Requirements for Enrolled Agents:
• An enrolled agent (EA) does not need a college degree; rather they must demonstrate special competence in tax matters by passing all three parts of the IRS Special Enrollment Examination. An Individual with 5 years of relevant employment with the IRS may apply for enrollment to become a tax agent (EA) without taking the exam.
• The EA Exam. Officially known as the Special Enrollment Examination (SEE) is a three-part exam administered by Prometric on behalf of the Internal Revenue Service. Each part is taken as a separate 100 question EA exam and you will have 3.5 hours to answer all questions for that part. A candidate may re-take each part up to four times each testing period.
Skillmaker Career Consulting will teach live classes at the Rockville Centre Campus of Molloy College. Skillmaker Career Consulting provides students with a high quality alternative to the mass market review programs at an affordable price. The advantage to this study is outstanding, experienced faculty comprised of top-rated accountants and current IRS agents who can share true situational experiences on how to prepare for presentation before the IRS. Skillmaker Career Consulting uses the materials offered by Gleim Academy Exam Study Guide which includes:
- Free Online questions
- Simulated Practice Exams
- Performance Measurements
- The following three areas of study are covered:
• Part 1 Individuals
• Part 2 Businesses
• Part 3 Representation, Practice and Procedures
Part I - INDIVIDUALS
This course covers various topics when filing an individual tax return. Topics include: Filing Information, Gross Income, Depreciation and Basis, Gains and Losses, Items Excluded from Gross Income, Adjustment to Gross Income, Standard and Itemized Deductions, Tax and Credits and Estate Tax and Gift Tax.
Part II - BUSINESSES
This course covers the major topics when filing business returns. Topics include: Business Entities, Business Taxation, Business Property, Corporations, Partnerships. Retirement Plans, Specialized Returns.
Part III - REPRESENTATION, PRACTICES, AND PROCEDURES
This course covers the interactions between the Enrolled Agent, the Client and the IRS Agent. Topics include: Preparing Returns, Practice Before the IRS, Representation Before the IRS. Tax Law.
Please note that this course is designed for someone who is already preparing tax returns for a fee. It is not a tax preparation course. While it is possible to become an Enrolled Agent without any prior background, it would be very difficult to do so.
James Rosa, CPA (first four sections)
Ernest Barone, CPA, retired IRS Appeals Officer (last five sections)
The course will be offered at Molloy's Pockville Centre located at 1000 Hempstead Avenue, Rockville Centre, NY 11571. Click here for directions.
The course is offered once a year, in the late spring, generally from May-June. The course is offered with different options. You can elect to take all 3 Parts: Parts I, II and III, you can take Parts I and III together or take Part II by itself on the following schedules:
All 3 Parts: Part I- Individuals, Part II-Business and Part III- IRS Practice
(2 different sections to choose from)
Section A 4 evenings: Monday - Thursday, May 21-24, 2018; 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. and 2 Mondays, 2 Tuesdays 2 Wednesdays, June 11-13,and June 18- 20, 2018; 6:30-9:30 p.m.
Section B 2 Saturdays, May 19 & June 2, 2018; 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. and 2 Mondays, 2 Tuesdays 2 Wednesdays, June 11, 13, 18 & 20, 2018; 6:30-9:30 p.m.
2 Parts: Part I- Individuals and Part III, IRS Practice
(2 different sections to choose from)
Section A 4 evenings: Monday - Thursday, May 21-24, 2018; 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
Section B 2 Saturdays, May 19 & June 2, 2018; 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
1 Part: Part II- Business
(only 1 section offered)
Section A 2 Mondays, 2 Tuesdays 2 Wednesdays, June 11-13, June 18- 20, 2018; 6:30-9:30 p.m.
Click here for the current schedule. The schedule of classes comes out in our catalog which is mailed twice a year (January and July) to students who have made an inquiry or registered within the last 6 months. However, the most up-to-date scheduling information can be found on the program webpage. We will also email you reminders of the upcoming schedule if you have provided us with an email address. Request a catalog or join our mailing list.
Registration and Tuition
Students should register for classes at least one week prior to the start of classes to insure enough time for you to get your confirmation and parking permit. However, you can register up until the day of class. Please note that some of our classes do close out and some of our classes do cancel, so you may be taking a chance of not getting into the course of your choice by waiting.
Click here to registere online. Phone in registration is available by calling 516-323-3550 with your MasterCard, Discover or Visa. To register in person, by fax or mail, please click here. Confirmation of your registration and classroom assignments will be mailed or emailed to you upon receipt of your registration.
All Three Parts: $1,299
Parts I and III: $699
Part II: $875
Students and Alumni from Molloy will receive a 10% discount. Those individuals who have previously passed one or more parts will be eligible to receive a one-time 10% discount for the entire program upon presentation of a completed part certification (you will need to call-in your registration at 516323-3550, no online registration permitted).
Molloy College is an approved provider by the IRS to provide continuing education for Enrolled Agents. The Enrolled Agents course is approved for 27 CEUs for Enrolled Agents (3 hours Ethics, 6 hours Federal Tax Law Update and 18 hours Federal Tax Law Topics/Federal Tax Related Matters).
In addition, Molloy College is an approved CPE sponsor for CPAs by the NYS Education Department. The NYS sponsor registry number is 002743 for Molloy College. The Enrolled Agents course is approved for 24 CEUs for CPAs in taxation.
Free Seminar: "How to Become an Enrolled Agent"
As a tax preparer, would you like to know how to build your business and professional status? If so, attend our free seminar, "How to Become an Enrolled Agent" on Wednesday, May 2, 2018; 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. at Molloy College's Rockville Centre campus. An Enrolled Agent is a tax professional who has earned the privilege of representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service. Our seminar leader, James Rosa, CPA will explain the benefits of becoming an enrolled agent, the educational requirements and the three-part Special Enrollment Examination (SEE) you will need to take. While the seminar is free you should register to reserve yourself a seat. Online registration is available by clicking here. Phone in registration is available by calling 516.323.3550. To register in-person, by fax or by mail, please follow the directions on our web page: www.molloy.edu/ce/registration under Registration. A confirmation with travel directions will be sent upon receipt of your registration. Questions? Call 516.323.3550 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Information Session
For questions regarding the course, course schedules or registration, call 516.323.3550 or e-mail email@example.com.