Physical Assessment Skills (NUR-0054) Learning Objectives
NUS-0054: Physical Assessment Skills
At the end of this program, the participant will be able to:
I. Data Collection
1. List 8 strategies to enhance communication when obtaining assessment information from a client. 2. Identify the pertinent information that should be obtained by the nurse to complete the patient's history.
2. Identify the pertinent information that should be obtained by the nurse to complete the patient's history.
3. Explain how to obtain the chief complaint from the client and list the questions that should be asked to elicit information describing the present condition.
4. Describe the assessment tools used to perform a physical assessment.
5. Describe the structure (anatomy) of the skin, hair and nails. 6. Identify 5 common characteristics of skin lesions.
Integumentary: skin, hair and nails.
6. Identify 5 common characteristics of skin lesions.
7. Describe 3 types of primary lesions.
8. Describe 3 types of secondary lesions.
III. Head, Neck, Nose & Sinus
9. List one common nail change that occurs with deprivation of adequate oxygen.
10. Demonstrate a physical assessment of the head and neck.
11. Document the result of a physical assessment of the head and neck.
12. Describe the features of the mouth, throat, and pharynx.
13. Name the twelve cranial nerves and their function.
14. Name two hearing tests that are used to assessing hearing function.
15. Identify the external and internal structures of the ear.
16. Name the tests used to assess a client's visual acuity.
17. Demonstrate the techniques used to assess the eye.
VI. Breast Cancer
18. List 4 types of clients that would be at high risk for breast cancer.
19. Explain how you would perform a breast examination.
20. Describe the anatomy of the chest and lungs.
21. Demonstrate auscultation techniques of the lungs.
22. Describe the anatomic structures of the heart.
23. Identify how you would auscultate the precordium.
24. List the nine quadrants of the abdominal region.
25. Describe the skin surface characteristics that should be noted in a physical assessment.
26. Describe how you would auscultate abdominal sounds in a physical assessment.
27. Describe how you would assess the liver during a physical assessment.
XI. Musculoskeletal System
28. List ten types of joint movement.
29. Describe the inspection process of the musculoskeletal system.
30. Describe the anatomy of the cranium.
31. Identify how you would assess gross motor and balance testing.
32. Explain how you would test for fine motor.