An internship is required for all Communications majors. In order to secure an internship, students must have completed their sophomore year and have a 3.0 GPA overall and in their major. Students must also have a resume and cover letter. Contact the Molloy College Career Development Center for assistance.
If you have questions about internships or wish to set up a meeting, contact Dr. Janice Kelly, Internship Coordinator at email@example.com or 516.323.3244.
Students preparing to apply for an internship should review the following check-list.
- Complete the internship Information Form. When complete, email to Dr. Janice Kelly.
- Schedule a meeting with Internship Coordinator, Dr. Janice Kelly, to review career goals and placement opportunities.
- Students must complete COM 252, COM 256, COM 254 or COM 259 (depending on chosen specialization) before an applying for an internship.
- Schedule a follow up meeting with Dr. Kelly to review and update your resume and cover letter. Please visit the career center (Public Square Room 320) to work on your resume and cover letter before this meeting.
- Apply to internships and interview for the position.
- Once an internship is acquired, work a minimum of 10 hours per week for 12 weeks of a semester or 8 hours a day for 15 to 17 days of the internship or during the summer semester. Attendance and punctuality are important grading components of the internship.
- Follow all the rules and regulations of the company or agency hosting the internship.
- Maintain a weekly journal describing internship activities. The journal is an analytic tool designed to help interns think through aspects of the position and should not be used to merely record events of the day. The journal may be hand-delivered or emailed to Dr. Kelly.
- Complete a final analytical paper (6-10 pages) relevant to the work experience.
- Complete a final evaluation report submitted by your internship supervisor.
- If applicable, maintain copies of all work done or participated in (e.g., press releases, articles, videos, etc.)
An internship is a commitment to a particular organization. You are entering into a contractual obligation that must be honored. Please download and complete the Internship Agreement form once you have accepted an internship. Please email the completed form to Dr. Janice Kelly. You can download the form by clicking here.