B.S Degree Program in Earth and Environmental Studies
Programs for the Earth and Environmental Studies Majors, Bachelor of Science Program
For a more exact, detailed listing of this degree's requirement and nuances, please refer to the course catalog here.
Acceptable courses listed under General Education Requirements - (38 credits needed)
- Arts and Fine Arts (2 out of 3 disciplines) for 6 credits
- ART History/MUS History/COM Speech for 6 credits
- English and Modern Languages (1 of each discipline) for 9 credits: ENG 110; Modern Language; and Modern Language/Literature
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (3 out of 4 disciplines) for 9 credits: HIS/POL/PSY/SOC
- Philosophy, Theology and Ethics (1 of each discipline) for 9 credits: PHI; THE; and ETH Physical Education (1 credit): PED 1 Core Course (4 credits): COR
Major Requirements (21 credits)
- BIO 126 General Biology I: 4 credits
- BIO 150 Ecology: 3 credits
- ESC 125 Planet Earth: 3 credits
- ESC 460/ENV 460/Internship: 3 credits
- ESC 497/ENV 497 Environmental/Earth Science Seminar: 2 credits
- GEO 200 Introduction to Geography: 3 credits
- MAT 115 Elementary Statistics 3: credits
Choose a concentration in environmental science or Earth science, either: Environmental science concentration (29-31 credits): BIO 127, General Biology II, CHE 132 Inorganic Chemistry I, CHE 133 Inorganic Chemistry II, CHE 200 Organic Chemistry I, ENV 101 Introduction to Environmental Issues, ENV 189 Environmental Regulations and Planning.
Complete either, MAT 118 or 221. MAT 118 Pre-Calculus* MAT 221 Calculus I
Complete either, PHY 160 or 270. PHY 160 Physics for Health Sciences. PHY 270 General Physics I.
Earth Science Concentration (30-31 credits): CHE 132 Inorganic Chemistry I. CHE 133 Inorganic Chemistry II. ESC 115 Astronomy. ESC 127 Rocks and Minerals. ESC 130 Earth's History.
Complete either MAT 118 or 221. MAT 118 Pre-Calculus. MAT 221 Calculus.
Complete three (3) courses from 6 selections(9 credits): 9 ESC 231 Shaping the Earth. ESC 233 Water Planet. ESC 235 Geology of New York. ESC 239 Earth's Atmosphere. ESC 375 GIS/GPS and the Earth.
Or one of either ESC 390 or 490: ESC 390 Topics in Earth Science. *ESC 490 Field Research in Earth Science.
Related requirements (9 credits): Science electives - BIO, CHE, ESC, PHY (Under consultation with advisor) 9
FST Requirement: FST 101. College Experience (If required) 0-1
Electives (Under consultation with advisor) 27-31 Total: 128.
Note: the general education requirement is 44, and has been adjusted to 38, because the following major requirements will also satisfy the general education requirement: BIO 126 and MAT.