There are security gates at the entrance to the library. The security gate will alarm when either entering or leaving the library with library-owned materials. If the alarm does sound, please see library staff.
In the event an alarm is triggered, the following procedure will be followed:
- The patron will be asked if he or she has any library materials from the James E. Tobin Library.
- If so, the patron will be asked to present these materials to library personnel to confirm that the material(s) have been checked out and properly demagnetized.
- The patron will be asked to go through the security gate again without the library materials to see if alarm is sounded.
- The patron will also be asked if they have checked out materials from another library, as this too can trigger the door alarm.
- If no alarm sounds on the second pass, the patron is cleared to leave the library with the checked out library materials.
- If the alarm does trigger, the patron will be asked to remove all materials from their bag and go through the security gates with the bag.
Note: The alarm can be triggered by materials other than library materials, including materials from other libraries.