Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
CMHC Information Session
October 20th - 6PM: Clinical Mental Health Counseling Info Session (molloy.edu)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 971 6889 8944
How to Apply: Admission Requirements
Submit all Application Materials to the Admissions Office:
Admissions Office Phone: 516.323.4000
Admissions Office Email: Admissions@molloy.edu
Admissions Mailing Address: ATTN: Admissions 1000 Hempstead Ave., P.O. Box 5002, Rockville Centre, NY 11571-5002
Fill this form out to get a head start with Admissions!
Clinical Mental Health Counseling Front Desk Contacts:
Administrative Assistant: Imani Collins
Please Contact Imani with any questions or for assistance navigating the application process!
Tuition and Fees: www.molloy.edu/admissions/tuition-and-fees
Financial Aid: www.molloy.edu/admissions/financial-aid
Scholarship Opportunity: Click here to learn how to apply!
- You do not have to have all your materials ready to begin you application. Start by filling out the Online Graduate Application!
- Use the Admission Requirements tab on our website as a checklist to complete the application process!
- Let us know if you have any questions, we are happy to help!
Mentoring Compassionate Counselors for Our Communities
The Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) program at Molloy University is designed to provide graduate students the professional identity, core knowledge, necessary state-of-the- art practical skills, and multi-cultural sensitivity to excel in a variety of mental health settings. Our 60-credit-hour, New York State approved, part-time, evening program can be completed in three years, and fulfills the educational requirements for licensure as a Mental Health Counselor established by the New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions.
Prepare for a career as a clinical mental health counselor with Molloy University:
- A program designed for working students
- Dedication to the highest standards of accreditation*
- Committed to social justice, diversity, and multicultural humility
- Education in numerous counseling theories and interventions
- Best practices and ethical standards embedded throughout the program
- Highly experiential coursework and hands-on practice
- Small class sizes and one-on-one mentorship throughout the program
The program can be completed in three years part time with summers included, and requires a final comprehensive examination. Graduate coursework will include, but not be limited to, each of the following content areas:
- Human growth and development
- Social and cultural foundations of counseling
- Counseling theory and practice
- Group dynamics
- Lifestyle and career development
- Assessment and appraisal of individuals, couples and families and groups
- Research and program evaluation
- Professional orientation and ethics
- Foundations of mental health counseling and consultation
- Clinical instruction
A practicum (100 clock hours) course and a one year (600 clock hours) supervised internship in mental health counseling in a Molloy University approved mental health setting are required. Successful graduates of the Molloy University M.S. in CMHC will be eligible for Licensure as Mental Health Counselors in New York State upon completion of 3,000 post-Master's hours of supervised mental health counseling work and the passing of the state licensing examination. Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselors provide solution oriented and consumer friendly services for clients. Providing lower cost of care to consumers of mental health is consistent with government and industry goals of cost containment and reduction built into Medicare and the recently passed national health insurance law.
Mental Health Counseling By the Numbers
States offering licensure to
Practicing, independent, mental health
counselors in the U.S.
Projected job growth over the next
Certified, licensed and practicing mental
health professionals in N.Y.