TESOL Certification Requirements
Since this is a pathway to certification and does not lead to a degree, you must go to the NYS Office of Teaching Initiatives webpage and file for TESOL certification. Do this as soon as possible - even before you enroll in any courses! You will be notified of anything additional you need to take or any missing requirements.
Pathway: Additional Classroom Teaching Certificate
The following is the list of requirements from the New York State Office of Teaching Initiatives website on approved pathway:
- Hold a Valid NYS Classroom Teaching Certificate
- Content Core - Major or Equivalent in One of the Liberal Arts & Sciences - 30 S.H.
- College Coursework - Linguistics - 3 S.H.
- College Coursework - English Grammar - 3 S.H.
- College Coursework - Language other than English (including American Sign Language) - 12 S.H.
- Pedagogical Core
- College Coursework - Teaching Literacy Skills Methods - 3 S.H.
- College Coursework - Methods of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages - 6 S.H.
- Content Specialty Test (CST) - ESOL or Safety Net ESOL
- Workshop - Child Abuse Identification
- Workshop - School Violence Intervention and Prevention
- Workshop - Dignity For All Students Act
- Fingerprint Clearance
For additional information, e-mail email@example.com