Courses for Certification
Molloy offers the following coursework to meet certain content and pedagogical core requirements:
- College Coursework - EDU 514 - Teaching English Language Learners, Methods of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, 3 graduate credits. It has been our experience that most teachers may have already completed the Literacy requirement, which is covered in our EDU 543 course. Therefore, EDU 543 will not be one of the four (4) courses offered onsite. For those teachers who may need to fulfill the Literacy requirement, EDU 543 is offered during the summer at both Molloy's Rockville Centre and Suffolk Center locations. See the "Additional Course Offerings" section below for the schedule.
- College Coursework - Linguistics EDU 540 An Introduction to Linguistics, 3 graduate credits
- College Coursework - English Grammar EDU 542 The Structure and Application of American English, 3 graduate credits.
- College Coursework - EDU 543 Interdisciplinary Teaching Methods and English Language Arts for PK to 12 English Language Learners*, Teaching Literacy Skills Methods 3 graduate credits.
- College Coursework - EDU 544 - PK to 12 TESOL Teaching Practices and Assessment in the Content Areas, Methods,
3 graduate credits
*Based on our experience, most teachers who have recently graduated from college have taken a Literacy course. This course will only be given on-site if there is sufficient need. However, this course will be offered during the summer at Molloy's Rockville Centre and Suffolk Center locations. (See "Additional Course Offerings" below)
It has also been our experience that teachers may be missing some or all of the 12 semester hours (credits) in college coursework in a language or languages other than English (including American Sign Language). The "language other than English" requirement can be met by taking courses for undergraduate credit or through CLEP exams. It is suggested that teachers look into taking the courses at a local community college. The courses do not have to be in one language and coursework in American Sign Language will also satisfy the requirement.
*Please note that not every course will be offered every semester.