Transfer Credits

Transfer Students

New transfer students will be evaluated by the Office of Admissions. Transfer students who have attended two-year colleges will be awarded credit for their previous coursework up to a maximum of 64 credits.

Transfer students who have attended four-year institutions will be awarded credit for their previous coursework up to a maximum of 98 credits. Students entering into a bachelor’s degree program at Molloy who already hold a bachelor’s degree from another accredited institution will receive 98 credits in transfer and will have all General Education requirements waived.

Transfer credit is awarded only for courses with grades of “C” or better from the institution at which these courses were completed. Courses with grades lower than “C” are considered only if a degree was completed at the school where the credits were taken. In such a case, “D” credit, which was part of the program leading toward that degree will be acceptable or unacceptable in the same way a grade of “D” at Molloy would be applied (i.e., not in the major, where a grade of “C” or better is required).

For all transfer students, the grade of “P” will be considered for transfer credit, to be used in the same way that the Pass/Fail rules at Molloy apply. The “P” grade must be the equivalent of a “C” grade at the institution where the credits were completed to be considered unless a degree was completed.

Transfer students coming from unaccredited colleges or schools are required to complete a minimum of 30 credits in residence before receiving credit for their previous applicable coursework.

The total number of credits earned prior to admission through independent study, advanced placement and credit by examination (CLEP, RCE, REDE), may not exceed 46.

Continuing Students

Continuing students who wish to take a course off-campus must have permission. The College does not usually grant permission to pursue courses at other institutions except when a required course needed for graduation is not planned to be offered at Molloy. Where such permission is granted, the combined programs may not exceed 18 credit hours per semester. Permission may be granted to attend summer session at another institution provided the course sought is not being offered at Molloy and it is necessary for a student to take it at that time. Students are limited to the summer maximum credit load at other institutions, as is described in Molloy University’s Summer Sessions policy. The necessary forms for requesting permission to take courses off-campus may be obtained in the Registrar’s Office. The last 30 credits toward graduation normally must be completed at Molloy. Transfer credit totals are limited to the totals defined in Molloy’s transfer policies.

Since the above credits are not part of a degree from another institution, credit will only be accepted for courses in which a grade of “C” or better is achieved. A grade higher than "C" maybe required by the student’s major department or program of study at Molloy for the transfer coursework to be accepted by Molloy. The course will only be accepted and applied to the student's record if the grade satisfies Molloy's requirements. The grade of “P” is also acceptable under the same rules that govern that grade at Molloy. A grade of “P” must be designated as equivalent to a grade of “C” at the other institution. Special permission must be given by Molloy to take a course for a grade of “P”, in addition to the Application for Permission to Enroll in Courses at Other Institutions.

Students may not repeat courses for credit or a better grade at other institutions. All courses that must be repeated must be retaken at Molloy.

Courses at Other Institutions

The Application for Permission to Enroll in Courses at Other Institutions forms are available in Registrar’s Office, and permission is required prior to enrollment at the other school. If the student anticipates any difficulty in making proper arrangements, the Registrar should be consulted so that alternate choices of courses can be planned. Permission will not be granted to attend any other Institution nor will credits be accepted, if the student has already begun attendance at this school before requesting and receiving approval from the Molloy University Office of the Registrar. The maximum transfer credits allowed according to Molloy's transfer policy applies when students gain permission to take a course at another institution. To comply with Molloy's transfer policy, previously accepted transfer work may need to be reduced to accept a different course at Molloy.

Seek permission to enroll in courses at other institutions

Contact Us

Have questions about anything here? Feel free to drop us a quick note!

Of course, feel free to Contact Us.

Office of the Registrar
1000 Hempstead Avenue Wilbur Arts Center, Room W225 Rockville Centre, New York 11571-5002