NYS Tuition Assistance Program FAQ

How do I apply for TAP?
When you complete the FAFSA on the web, the confirmation page will give you a link to the TAP on the web application for New York state financial aid. Before completing the TAP application, you will be asked to establish a PIN for TAP. This PIN will allow you to complete your application later, access your application information, or make changes, if necessary. After establishing your PIN, you will be able to complete your TAP application. The TAP online form will be pre-filled with some of the information from the FAFSA you completed online. Review this data, supply any missing information and submit the form. Follow the instructions provided.

I received TAP last year, do I have to apply again?
Yes, you must reapply for TAP every academic year in addition to the free application for federal student aid (FAFSA).

How much TAP can I receive each semester?
The amount of TAP you receive depends on your family income, the number of family members attending college full-time, the number of semesters you have received TAP, and the size of the annual appropriation for the program. Maximum TAP awards can be equal to but not greater than the full tuition charge at the college. State budgetary restrictions can further limit TAP awards to a portion of your tuition.

What requirements must I meet to be eligible for TAP?
To be eligible for TAP, you must be a full-time student (enrolled in at least 12 credits). In addition to being enrolled full-time, at least 12 enrolled credits must be applicable the degree you are pursuing. If less than 12 credits are applicable to your degree, you will not be eligible for TAP for that semester. Lastly, you must meet the conditions for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), which means you must maintain a certain cumulative GPA, have earned a specific number of credits, and completed (earned a letter grade) as specific number of credits each semester. Specifics information for Satisfactory Academic Progress for TAP can be found on pages 37-38 in the Undergraduate Catalog.

I lost TAP eligibility due to grades/failing SAP requirements, can I get TAP back?
Students who are no longer eligible for TAP due to failing the academic requirements may be able to receive a one-time waiver from New York State. Waiver applications must be obtained and submitted through the Financial Aid Office. If a student fails the academic requirements after being granted a waiver, they will no longer be eligible for TAP for the remainder of their time at Molloy University.

For how many semesters can I receive tap?
For an Associate Degree you may receive TAP for up to six semesters. You will be limited to six semesters of TAP even if you change majors or transfer to another college. When you enroll in a four-year college program, you will become eligible for an additional two full-time semesters of TAP bringing your undergraduate total to eight semesters. If you are enrolled in a special program, such as HEOP, you may receive up to 10 semesters (or the equivalent) of TAP as an undergraduate.

Can I receive TAP for repeating a course?
If you repeat a course that you previously passed, you may not count the repeated course towards full-time enrollment for TAP purposes. This means that in order to receive TAP in a semester where you may be repeating a course you passed previously that you have, in addition to the repeated course, at least 12 credits or equated credits of non-repeated courses. If you repeat a course that you previously failed, you may include that course towards full-time enrollment for TAP purposes.

Can I receive TAP for remedial courses?
Remedial courses may be counted towards either full-time or part time enrollment for TAP purposes. However, to qualify for TAP, you must always be registered for a certain number of degree credit courses.

How come TAP pays to my account so late?
Certification for TAP awards do not begin until after the add/drop refund period ends, which is typically the fourth week of the semester. Since students must be enrolled full-time to be eligible for TAP, student bills must be finalized before TAP can be certified and paid to student accounts.

Is there TAP for Part-Time Students?
Part-time students may be eligible for a partial TAP award as long as they meet the specific requirements set forth by New York State. PT-TAP recipients must be enrolled in at least six but no more than 11 credits, must have earned at least 12 credits in each of the prior two semesters (for the first semester receiving PT-TAP), and be in good academic standing.

What is the difference between PT-TAP and APTS?
New York State provides Molloy University with a lump sum of money for APTS purposes. The Financial Aid Office awards eligible students with APTS each semester on a first-come, first-serve basis. Awards range from $500 - $1000 per semester.

PT-TAP awards are determined by New York State and students must meet very specific eligibility criteria. Award amounts are determined based on the student's full-time award eligibility pro-rated based on the number of credits the student is enrolled during the semester PT-TAP is received. For example, if a student's TAP award is $2,000 if they are full-time, but they are only enrolled in 9 credits, PT-TAP would be prorated to 75% (9/12 = 75%) which would be $1,500.

Where can I go for more information about my TAP award?
The HESC customer communication center can be reached by telephone toll-free at 1-888-NYS-HESC or by going to www.hesc.ny.gov.

I don't think that I will be eligible for a TAP grant. Why should I bother to complete the form?
It never hurts to apply and let New York State decide whether you are eligible for a TAP grant. The application is easy and you just might qualify. Many students who are not eligible for Pell grants still qualify for TAP.

I missed the link to the tap on the web site when i completed my FAFSA online. Can I get to it any other way?
Yes. You must wait until you receive either an email or a postcard with the web address of TAP on the web. You can then set up a PIN which will allow you to access the TAP on the website and you can complete your TAP application and have it submitted to HESC. You can also navigate to the TAP Application website at www.tap.hesc.ny.gov/totw




Admissions By the numbers


Our retention rate is the

highest on Long Island


Molloy’s undergraduate student-faculty ratio

means our students are key


Tuition is 15% lower than other

private, 4-year colleges on L.I.


Of incoming freshmen receive

some sort of financial aid

Contact Us

Have questions about anything here? Feel free to drop us a quick note!

Of course, feel free to Contact Us.

Debra O'Connor
Director of Student Financial Services
1000 Hempstead Avenue Wilbur Arts Center, Room W225 Rockville Centre, New York 11571-5002