Leave of Absence

For Administrators and Staff

Sick policy for short term illness (fewer than 5 days)
Employees must inform their supervisor verbally as soon as possible (no later than 15 minutes prior to the start of the normal work schedule) if they are going to miss work due to a short term illness. A doctor's note may be requested at the discretion of a supervisor. Full time employees are entitled to 7 paid sick days per year. Part time and summer-off employees are entitled to paid sick time on a pro-rated basis. Misuse or improper notification of sick days may result in disciplinary action.  

Extended Illness
When an employee must be out of work due to a disabling condition certified either by a Notice and Proof of Claim for Disability BenefitsWorkers-Compensation Doctor Notification Letter or FMLA Certificate, he or she may apply for extended sick leave as described below. Eight weeks of total time will be granted for a mother's leave of absence due to the birth of a child (assuming no complications otherwise certified). Salary continuance for an employee's own serious health condition will be approved according to the below schedule and as approved by the certifying document. In all cases, before being granted any extended sick leave, the employee is expected to utilize his or her current year's paid sick and personal hours as well as any of the current year's vacation hours excluding the three-week accumulation allowance.

Inclusive of any vacation sick and personal time utilized, the College will continue the employee's salary in full according to the following schedule: 

Years of Service    Duration of Salary Continuance
  • Less than 1
  • 1 but not 5
  • 5 but not 10
  • 10 or more                             
  • 5 days
  • 8 weeks
  • 16 weeks
  • 26 weeks

Paid Leave Policies
The college offers paid leave policies for administrators and staff in consideration of their personal circumstances as well as the Paid Family Leave (PFL) policies of New York State. More information on PFL can be found at the bottom of this page.

Birth of a Child, Foster Care, or Adoption
A parent may take Paid Family Leave during the first 12 months following the birth, adoption, or fostering of a child. If both parents work for the college one may be denied leave. The birth mother must submit a birth certificate naming them as a parent. The second parent may submit a birth certificate that names them as a parent or a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity or a court order of filiation.

Family Care
An employee may take Paid Family Leave in order to care for a spouse, domestic partner, child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, or grandchild with a serious illness. The college also offers the employee assistance program to assist with everyday challenges.

Eligible employees are allowed paid time off to attend the services and make any necessary arrangements associated with the death of close family members as per the following schedule: 

  • Five Days: Spouse, Parent, Sibling or Child
  • Three Days: In-law, Grandparent or Grandchild
  • One Day: Aunt, Uncle, Niece, Nephew or Cousin  

Jury Duty or Witness Duty
If an employee is called for jury duty or in response to a subpoena, time off to complete the service will be provided. The College will pay the difference between the employee's regular pay and the amount paid by the court, according to a court statement which must be provided. The employee must notify the supervisor and the Human Resources office as soon as a jury duty notice or subpoena is received.

Intermittent Military Service
Employees requesting paid military leave, must submit a copy of their military orders to the Office of Human Resources. The orders should specify the dates of drills, maneuvers, etc. The employee will be paid his or her regular compensation at the College and the compensation received while on duty for a maximum of up to two weeks per anniversary year.

Active Duty Military Service
Employees requesting paid military leave for active service, must submit a copy of their military orders to the Office of Human Resources. For a maximum of five years, the employee will be paid the difference between his or her regular compensation at the College and the compensation received while on active military duty. To receive such compensation, the employee must submit documentation of military pay to the Human Resources Office.

Active Duty Deployment of a Family Member
Paid Family Leave may be used when a spouse, domestic partner, child, or parent of an employee is deployed abroad. Employees can take a leave to help out with obligations arising out of a call to duty.  

Frequently Asked Questions:

Does Paid Family Leave cost me anything?
New York's PFL is entirely employee-funded. That is, the benefit is paid for by employees. Beginning on or after January 1, 2018, you will see a payroll deduction to pay for your PFL benefit. Use the ny.gov/pflcalculator to view an estimate of your weekly payroll deduction.

Do I have to participate in the Paid Family Leave program?
Yes, PFL is not optional for most employees. The exception is if you are in a job that will not allow you to attain the 26 continuous weeks or 175 days needed to qualify for PFL, such as a summer only employee.

I am pregnant; will I be able to receive Paid Family Leave during my pregnancy?

PFL only begins after birth. It is not available for pre-natal conditions.

Will I be able to use Paid Family Leave to take care of an eligible relative living outside New York?

Yes, as long as you are caring for an eligible family member and provide the medical certification.

Will I be able to use Paid Family Leave if I work part-time?

In most instances, yes. You must work 175 days part-time to be eligible for a PFL benefit.

I am collecting workers' compensation. Will I be able to use Paid Family Leave?

If you are not working and are collecting workers' compensation, you may not use PFL.

Will I have to take all of my sick time and/or vacation before I use Paid Family Leave?

Molloy will permit you to use vacation and/or personal leave to achieve full salary replacement, but will not require you to use this time.

Can I take Paid Family Leave and use my sick and/or vacation time together so that I receive my full salary?

Molloy will permit you to use vacation and/or personal leave to achieve full salary replacement, but will not require you to use this time.

Will my spouse and I be able to use Paid Family Leave at the same time?

If you and your spouse both work for Molloy, the College reserves the right to deny PFL to more than one employee at the same time to care for the same family leave recipient, or to bond with a child.

Contact Us

Have questions about anything here? Feel free to drop us a quick note!

Of course, feel free to Contact Us.

Human Resources
1000 Hempstead Avenue Kellenberg Hall, Room K-011 Rockville Centre, New York 11571-5002