Credit by Examination

Credit By Examination
Molloy College will grant credit by examination to individuals who have developed college-level competencies outside of the formal classroom situation and can demonstrate this competency. Credit by Examination is awarded and noted as transfer credit on the student's academic record. The College Proficiency Examination (CPE), the Regents External Degree Examination (REDE) sponsored by the New York State Education Department and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) sponsored by the Educational Testing Service are accepted by the College (up to 12 credits). The College also offers challenge examinations for matriculated students in selected areas. For a challenge examination, the application for challenge examinations must be presented to the registrar's office with payment of tuition and fee one month prior to the scheduled examination date.
*Nursing students should refer to specific nursing department information on challenge exams under the department's section of the catalog.

Advanced placement credit will be granted to qualified students based upon a score of "3" or better on the advanced placement exam of the College Entrance Examination Board.

All credit by examination awards are based upon submission of official score reports that are submitted to the Admissions office prior to entering Molloy.Examinations completed before admission to the college are evaluated as part of the admissions process and are not subject to any fee charges. After admission to the College, students should consult with their advisors regarding the examinations which may be appropriate to the learning objectives and degree requirements before taking any of the examinations. Forms are available in the Office of the Registrar.

All examinations and transfer evaluations after admission require a tuition payment of approximately one-third of the current per credit rate. This per-credit rate for award of credit by examination is in addition to the sitting fee charged for sitting for in-house examinations. For examinations taken outside the College, whatever the cost is, it must be paid by the student. More information is available in the Registrar's office.