MLK Day of Service
Monday, January 21, 2019
Join us for a day of workshops on community service and on and off campus service projects.
Let's make it a day on...not a day off.
Schedule of Events
- 9 - 9:45 a.m. Sign-in - (Registration will take place in the Public Square Lobby at Molloy College)
- 10 - 10:50 a.m. - Join us for a morning motivational moment with Dr. Alfonso Wyatt, to set the tone for the day of service. Be inspired by a Merchant of Hope to spread goodwill in our communities.
Community Service Opportunities in The Community
Off site service opportunities from 11:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Health screening support volunteers - Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, Roosevelt, 5 positions available for bilingual volunteers to register and support a health screening team from Molloy's Doctor of Nursing Practice program
- Fun and Games with the children of Bethany House - Roosevelt, 10 positions available for Molloy students and staff.
- Or stay on campus for a fun filled day.
- 11 - 11:50 a.m. - Lunch
Please register for one of these on campus workshops from 12 - 1 p.m.
● Serving at all ages
○ There is good work to do at all ages. Come join in this discussion and hear from a few inspirational young community service leaders.
● Types of service
○ There are many ways to service. Come join in this interactive workshop on the concepts of direct service and indirect service.
● Answering the call
○ Can you hear it? There is great need right here on Long Island. Come to this workshop and learn about all of the wonderful opportunities to service on Long Island.
You can also register for one of these on campus service activities from 1:15 - 3:30 p.m.
● Bring the Smiles - 30 volunteer positions
○ Assembling project materials for afterschool programs, clinics, and hospitals.
● Project ChemoCrochet - 30 volunteer positions
○ Assembling and packaging crocheted blankets for chemotherapy patients. You do not have to know how to crochet to join in this activity, there is work for everyone.
● Setting the Table - 30 volunteer positions
○ Assembling plastic flatware bundles for The Mary Brenan INN, the largest soup kitchen on Long Island.
● Local School Beautification - 20 volunteer positions
○ Cutting out stencils for motivational wall art to be placed in local schools.
4 p.m. - Closing remarks and reflection in the Public Square 2nd floor - Larini Room
Sponsored by the Molloy College Office of Mission and Ministry and the MLK Day of Service Committee.
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.