Boxtown XX at Molloy
Boxtown XX at Molloy will take place on Thursday, April 25, 2019 from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. (Friday morning). Registration is from Monday, March 18 thru Wednesday, April 17.
What is Boxtown?
Students, employees and graduates of Molloy sleep in a cardboard box on the Public Square lawn to raise money for Bethany House which is a shelter for women and children in Nassau County. Last year, the Molloy Community raised over $13,000 for Bethany House. All funds raised at Boxtown will go to help homeless women and children in Nassau County.
As part of the night, some of the women and children from Bethany House will come and share their profound stories with us. Everyone who attends is touched deeply by these stories.
Don't miss this amazing and challenging experience. We hope to see many of you.
How do I sign-up to participate in Boxtown?
What should I bring on the night of Boxtown?
- Appropriate clothes to sleep outside - Dress in layers
- Blankets and/or a sleeping bag and a pillow
- Games/balls to share with your friends
- Duct tape (for your box)
- Decorations (for your box)
- Most important - the money your raise
What will be provided at Boxtown?
- Security provided by Molloy College
- Breakfast in the morning at 6 a.m.
- Cardboard boxes will be donated, but feel free to bring your own
- Restroom facilities
- Light snacks
- The camaraderie of fellow participants, staff members, and residents and staff of Bethany House
What is planned for the Boxtown event?
- Prayer experience
- First-hand accounts of the experience of homelessness by Bethany House residents
How do I raise money for Boxtown?
- Contact everyone you know
- Ask them to donate an amount of their choice to sponsor you for the night you spend at Boxtown ($10, $20, $30, $40, $50, etc.)
- Collect all monies prior to the Boxtown event
- Have checks made out to Bethany House
- Bring all checks and cash on the night of the event - no money, no box.
- All contributions are fully tax-deductible
- Bring $15 or more and receive a Boxtown tee shirt. Bring $50 or more and receive a warm fleece blanket
- An alcohol and drug-free event
- A place where a community of respect for all and for the land is expected and honored
*A prize ($50 Amazon gift card) will be awarded to the two most creative boxes.
Two more things...
- Some people do not stay the entire night at Boxtown. This if fine, but please clean-up your area before you leave.
- In order to get the full experience, we ask that you do not leave and the then come back to campus. In other words, no food runs please.
Taste the bitter crumbs of homelessness...