DEPARTMENT: Residence Life, Student Affairs
HOURS: Live-In Position. Full time, Monday through Friday: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. On-Call Rotation. Summer Off - 4 weeks.
GRADE/SALARY RANGE: Grade 2 - Exempt Salaried
The Resident Director (RD) position is essential to the core mission of the department as it provides leadership in the residence halls in order to promote positive, multicultural, learning centered communities. The RD supervises the paraprofessional student staff, oversees day to day operations with students, collaborates with residence life staff for the opening and closing of the residence halls, and conducts crisis management, intervention and response to on campus emergencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recruit, select, train, supervise, and evaluate the 12 Resident Assistants (RA) and desk attendants within Fitzgerald and Maria Regina Hall. Conduct weekly RA staff meetings and hold bi-weekly one on one meetings with each RA. Provide communication updates, track weekly work schedule, and complete payroll for desk attendants.
- Housing Administrator: Ensure that the condition of each building creates a safe and secure environment for students by submitting maintenance requests, and creating, maintaining and participating in the on-call duty schedule for RAs. Assist in the placement of students into rooms, approve overnight guests, and uphold Residence Life and Molloy College policies.
- Counseling (non-clinical): Establish visibility and approachability amongst students and meet with them on a scheduled or informal basis. Provide guidance and support to all students and address any student's problems and needs. Developmentally address behavior that violated community standards, Residence Life policies, or infringes upon the rights of others in the community.
- Residence Hall Program developer: Assist the RAs in developing social, educational, and community building programs that establish a sense of community and a comfortable environment for students. Support the Molloy College Residence Hall Association in programming efforts. Assist with various Student Affairs/Molloy College related events.
- Assists in the management of the Residence Life Budget. The RD will also place orders for RA programming via Amazon, etc. and maintain petty cash for the department.
- Supervises work of others (students), including planning, assigning, scheduling and reviewing work, ensuring quality standards. Is responsible for hiring, terminating, training and developing, reviewing performance and administering corrective action for students. Plans organizational structure and job content.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- The RD will serve as the only live-in administrator for the campus, and will be part of the on-call team for the College. The ideal candidate will be approachable, enthusiastic, creative and a hard worker who is student-centered and understands the flexibility required as part of Residence Life.
- Bachelor's Degree Required
- 1-3 years of work related experience in Residence Life
- Must be able to work in a highly collaborative environment. The Resident Director will work very closely with the Coordinator of Residence Life. The RD will also work closely with campus partners including: Student Affairs, Facilities, Maintenance, Athletics, etc.
- Must have exemplary customer service and interpersonal skills. Must be able to exercise discretion and sound judgment, must be comfortable handling emergency situations. The successful Resident Director candidate would have been a Resident Assistant and lived on a college campus. They will also be flexible and willing to be part of a collaborative team environment. Social media knowledge is also required.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Desktop computer, including spreadsheet and word processing software; copy machine; fax machine, printers, and scanners.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Molloy College, an independent, Catholic college rooted in the Dominican tradition of study, spirituality, service and community, is committed to academic excellence with respect for each person. Through transformative education, Molloy promotes a lifelong search for truth and the development of ethical leadership.
All Molloy College employees are expected to display an understanding of and a commitment to the College's mission and core values; foster relationships with a spirit of inclusivity, compassion and respect; appreciate and celebrate differences and support a welcoming and hospitable environment that is responsive and helpful to all members of the Molloy community and beyond.
TO APPLY: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Office of Human Resources, Molloy College
1000 Hempstead Ave.
Rockville Centre, NY 11571-5002
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.