Online Writing Consultant
DEPARTMENT: Academic Services
SUPERVISOR: Writing Center Coordinator
HOURS: 25 hours a week: evening, holiday, or weekend work required
GRADE/SALARY RANGE: 3
Provides synchronous online and face-to-face consulting to individuals and groups in various aspects of academic and scholarly writing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Help students, particularly distance learners and those enrolled in hybrid classes, develop clear, effective drafts by guiding them through various aspects of the writing process: planning, organizing, and supporting a main idea; using standard U.S. spelling, grammar and punctuation; using appropriate styles and documentation formats.
- Advise writers about acknowledging sources through the use of parenthetical citation or attribution: quotation, paraphrase, or summary
- Maintain daily client report forms through WCONLINE system.
- Design and conduct presentations, meetings, projects, and workshops; create handouts for distribution; participate in event planning and scheduling; attend staff meetings. Remain updated on Center pedagogy and other areas pertinent to writing. Attend educational events related to field.
- Advance College's technology initiative by representing and maintaining the Center's digital presence; update Center web pages; create original content; collaborate with various academic and non-academic departments. Support students and faculty through online forms and non-print media. Troubleshoot and ensure maintenance of WCONLINE system; help students navigate system; remain in contact with software representatives to ensure operations run optimally.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Master's degree English/Writing/Rhetoric and Composition
- 1 - 3 years of experience
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Desktop computer, including spreadsheet and word processing software; copy machine; fax
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Molloy College, an independent, Catholic college, rooted in the Dominican tradition of study, spirituality, service and community, is committed to academic excellence with respect for each person. Through transformative education, Molloy promotes a lifelong search for truth and the development of ethical leadership.
All Molloy College employees are expected to display an understanding of and a commitment to the College's mission and core values; foster relationships with a spirit of inclusivity, compassion and respect; appreciate and celebrate differences and support a welcoming and hospitable environment that is responsive and helpful to all members of the Molloy community and beyond.
TO APPLY: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Office of Human Resources, Molloy College
1000 Hempstead Ave.
Rockville Centre, NY 11571-5002
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.