Nursing Laboratory Instructor
Position Title: Nursing Laboratory Instructor
Department: Clinical Learning Center (CLC)
Hours: Part-Time, 21 Hours per Week. Evening and Weekends.
Supervisor: Director and Assistant Director of the CLC
General Purpose: Assist undergraduate nursing students with practice of nursing skills, administer and record practical testing of various skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide nursing students the support necessary to practice nursing skills within a positive nurturing lab environment
- Administer testing and evaluation of psychomotor skills for undergraduate students
- Provide review classes and remediation of nursing skills
- Maintain record of student compliance of lab hours and successful completion of skills
- Assist with maintenance of laboratory environment i.e. inventory of supplies, equipment, day to day running of lab, anticipating faculty needs for supplies, provide technical support with various teaching materials, assist with student questions regarding equipment
- Proficiency in various areas of simulation, as necessary
- Assist with simulation experience: setup, breakdown of environment, and scenarios
- Presence of the nursing lab instructor in N209 lab, to assist professor as needed
- Evaluate equipment quality, need for repair & replacement
- Aware of current developments and trends in nursing through professional development, reading of current literature, attending conferences, discussions with colleagues and participation in professional conferences and organizations
- Informational liaison for student, faculty and staff when necessary
- Participate in Nursing and college wide committees when possible
- Assumes other work related responsibilities as assigned by Director or Assistant Director of the Nursing Laboratories
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
- Baccalaureate Nursing Degree
- Current New York State Nursing Registration
- CPR certification
- Preferred current nursing clinical experience, 3-5 years
- Enthusiasm and energy to work with undergraduate and graduate students
- Experience and/or interest with Simulation activities
Supervision received: Director & Assistant Director of the CLC
Supervision exercised: None
Responsibilities for Public Contact: Daily positive professional contact with students, staff, faculty and administration requiring courtesy, discretion, sound judgement, tact and diplomacy
Licensing and Certification: New York State Nursing Registration
Tools and equipment Used: Personal computer, nursing software, database, various manikins, nursing equipment and supplies
Physical demands: Employee will be standing for long periods of time, moving various pieces of equipment from one area to the other, going up and down elevators and stairs, trouble shooting new equipment, repairing small items within lab, moving and adjusting manikins, moving beds, lifting certain items around the lab area, opening boxes of supplies, stocking supplies from area to area. Often, supplies and equipment are transported from one area to another on and off campus. There are two labs, one in Rockville Centre and a satellite lab in Farmingdale. Employees are expected to work in both areas as necessary. Car or public transportation would be required. Adequate vision and hearing abilities are required for this position.
Work Environment: There is a large amount of noise in the lab when lab is filled with students. Busy crowded, active area with telephone calls, students and staff questions with students working and practicing skills. Ability to answer student inquires with patience and tact.
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.