Library Technician – Technical Services
SUPERVISOR: Associate Librarian Head of Technical Services
HOURS: Monday - Friday, hours may vary; earlier or later hours may occasionally be required for variations in Library hours between semesters Evening, holiday, or weekend work required
GRADE/SALARY RANGE: 3
The Library Technician serves as the primary copy cataloger, processes materials obtained for the James E. Tobin Library's collections and assists in other departments within the Technical Services Department. Additional activities include providing support in acquisitions, digital processing, and cross training to serve as primary backup for interlibrary loan (ILL) and reserves. The position provides overall support in accomplishing the goals of the Technical Services unit and serves all constituencies as a member of the Patron Services team as well. For those that are attracted to a diverse range of activities across multiple areas - this job is for you!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Copying or creating MARC bibliographic, holdings and authority records for all materials obtained for library collections, including books (print and eBooks), periodicals, audiovisual (streaming, DVDs, CDs), and other formats to add to the Library's ILS catalog
- Searching and identifying bibliographic records in the OCLC WorldCat knowledge base and updating local library holdings
- Creating, updating, and maintaining local holdings and item records in the catalog
- Processing all materials for shelving (includes stamping, labeling, jacketing, adding security strips, etc.)
- Reviewing and editing MARC bibliographic, holdings and authorities records
- Processing withdrawals of materials that have been marked for deselection
- Processing ILL reserves requests, and serving as primary contact for these areas when ILL & Reserves Coordinator is not available
- Providing support in all technical services activities and projects as needed
- Working a shift as part of the Patron Services Team in assisting students and faculty
- Other duties as required
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced level of proficiency required to utilize staff interfaces for cataloging and acquisitions, e.g., OCLC database and cataloging utilities
- Experience in a Library Services Platform or Integrated Library System, OCLC Connexion cataloging utility, OCLC label program, MARCedit, RDA Toolkit, interlibrary loan and reserves software and processes
- Microsoft Office
PREFERRED DESIREABLE SKILLS
- Prior experience working in an academic library
- Prior experience with Ex Libris Alma
- Prior experience with ILLiad and ARES reserve system a plus
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Desktop computer, including spreadsheet and word processing software; copy machine; fax machine, printers, and scanners.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Molloy College, an independent, Catholic college, rooted in the Dominican tradition of study, spirituality, service and community, is committed to academic excellence with respect for each person. Through transformative education, Molloy promotes a lifelong search for truth and the development of ethical leadership.
All Molloy College employees are expected to display an understanding of and a commitment to the College's mission and core values; foster relationships with a spirit of inclusivity, compassion and respect; appreciate and celebrate differences and support a welcoming and hospitable environment that is responsive and helpful to all members of the Molloy community and beyond.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to:
Office of Human Resources, Molloy College
1000 Hempstead Ave.
Rockville Centre, NY 11571-5002
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.