Associate Librarian: Head of Electronic & Access Services
Position: Associate Librarian: Head of Electronic & Access Services
Supervisor: Library Director
Hours: 35 Hours per week. Monday through Friday hours negotiable but ideally range between late morning/early afternoon start e.g., 10 a.m.-6 p.m., 11 a.m.-7 p.m., 12-8 p.m., etc.
Grade/Salary Range: Grade 6 - Salaried Exempt
The James E. Tobin (JET) Library at Molloy College is seeking an energetic, service-oriented and collaborative professional to be the technology lead for its electronic/digital resource initiatives and access services teams. The ideal candidate will assume webmaster responsibilities over the library's website and open source installations and have experience in usability testing and accessibility standards. The JET Library is small and as such, professional staff wear many hats, however, it is also a relatively nimble environment for those who prefer to work in an atmosphere that offers a high level of autonomy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversight of electronic resources and access services areas
- Acts in the capacity of the library's technology lead and webmaster
- Adapt new and existing web tools to improve the library's online platforms and interfaces
- Lead and/or participate in processes for usability testing, analytics analysis and assessments of the library's virtual space
- Oversee the implementation of consistent web accessibility/ADA standards
- Serve as primary point of contact for investigating and resolving web-based problems
- Manage interface customizations and the integration of commercial e.g., Ex Libris, Springshare and open source library applications e.g., VuFind, CORAL
- Continuously monitor and improve the library website's architecture and integration of web-based services into institutional systems
- Perform reference shifts as scheduled
- Provide Information Literacy instruction (either classroom or one-on-one) as assigned
- Other library-related duties as assigned e.g., liaison duties and committee work
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited school required as well as a second Masters
- A minimum of five years of experience within an academic library setting
- Demonstrated supervisory and training experience
- Understanding of library services and technologies, as well as information seeking behaviors in an academic research environment
- UX experience with measuring and monitoring how users respond to libraries' digital services and physical spaces, ensuring a commitment to user-centered library services ·
- Demonstrated experience using google analytics and other metrics tool in order to assess and improve patron experience via analytics and usability testing
- Strong proficiency and trouble-shooting capabilities with web technologies
- Strong commitment to the user's physical and online experience; ability to work with a diverse patron population
- Strong project management skills
- Advanced bibliographic searching skills, including extensive knowledge of academic databases, ejournal and ebook platforms
- Ability to work effectively and creatively in a rapidly changing library and college environment
- Ability to function both as a team member and a team leader
- Experience with API's and how they integrate into various library products e.g., libapps, LMS, digital repositories, discovery systems etc.
- Experience supporting web applications utilizing the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), as well version control tools such as GIT
- Experience with Voyager ILS, Summon, SerialsSolutions, ILLiad, ARES, Springshare products (e.g., LibGuides, LibCal) and Canvas
- Experience in AngularJS, Bootstrap and responsive web design
Supervision Exercised: Responsibilities include oversight of electronic resources and access services personnel.
Tools and Equipment Used:
Desktop computer, including spreadsheet and word processing software; copy machine; fax machine, printers, and scanners.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Molloy College, an independent, Catholic college, rooted in the Dominican tradition of study, spirituality, service and community, is committed to academic excellence with respect for each person. Through transformative education, Molloy promotes a lifelong search for truth and the development of ethical leadership.
All Molloy College employees are expected to display an understanding of and a commitment to the College's mission and core values; foster relationships with a spirit of inclusivity, compassion and respect; appreciate and celebrate differences and support a welcoming and hospitable environment that is responsive and helpful to all members of the Molloy community and beyond.
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
or mail to:
Office of Human Resources, Molloy College 1000 Hempstead Avenue
P.O. Box 5002
Rockville Centre, New York 11571-5002
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.