Assistant Director of HR/Employee Relations and Engagement
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
SUPERVISOR: Director of Human Resources
HOURS: Monday through Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
GRADE/SALARY RANGE: 5
The Assistant Director acts as a liaison between the employer and the employee and works to maintain a positive environment for those who work at Molloy. This position is critical for building initiatives to foster a positive, high performing, employment culture and environment that aligns with the mission and values of Molloy College.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides independent, neutral, and confidential assistance to College staff and administrators. Meets with individuals and/or groups to listen to the concerns they raise and help them develop a range of responsible options to resolve problems, facilitates discussions to identify the best alternative. Provides guidance and interpretation to employees regarding workplace policies and procedures. Brings emerging issues to the attention of supervisor and campus leadership while preserving the privacy of individuals involved. Conducts exit interviews with outgoing staff, analyzes exit trends, organizational strengths and areas for improvement.
- Oversee the staff and administrator performance evaluation process. Ensures evaluations are conducted in a fair, equitable and timely fashion. Conducts supervisory training in the evaluation process and serves as the subject matter expert and support contact for College supervisors in the evaluation process.
- Provides confidential assistance to employees in need of family, medical or other leaves of absence. Including, Molloy Extended Sick, FMLA, PFL, ADA, personal and short/long term disability leaves. Support employee benefits function with the day-to-day administration of above leaves. Maintain current and thorough knowledge of ADA, FMLA, PFL and other leaves of absence.
- Provides and maintains a positive work climate with managers and staff through advising, and offering strategies, solutions and action plans to address work related issue consistent with College mission, values and written policies and procedures. Assists in the development and writing of new and existing policies, educating and training campus constituents accordingly in their administration. Keeps supervisor and College leadership apprised of employee relations matters.
- Monitor employee engagement by administering surveys, conducting focus groups, analyzing results and making recommendations for engagement and retention initiatives. Contributes and motivates continuous process improvements to drive higher levels of employee engagement. Assists in administering a variety of programs to recognize employee performance and contribution to the College.
- Assists with fact-finding investigations, offers even-handed assistance in dealing with difficult and complex issues. On an as needed basis, represents HR on College wide search committees.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree.
- 3 - 5 years of human resources experience handling employee relations responsibilities.
- PHR or SPHR preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, problem solve and multi-task.
- Must be able to demonstrate a commitment to confidentiality, diversity, inclusion and cultural awareness through actions, interactions and communications with others.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Desktop computer, including spreadsheet and word processing software; copy machine; fax machine, printers, and scanners.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Molloy College, an independent, Catholic college, rooted in the Dominican tradition of study, spirituality, service and community, is committed to academic excellence with respect for each person. Through transformative education, Molloy promotes a lifelong search for truth and the development of ethical leadership.
All Molloy College employees are expected to display an understanding of and a commitment to the College's mission and core values; foster relationships with a spirit of inclusivity, compassion and respect; appreciate and celebrate differences and support a welcoming and hospitable environment that is responsive and helpful to all members of the Molloy community and beyond.
TO APPLY: Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to:
Office of Human Resources, Molloy College
1000 Hempstead Ave.
Rockville Centre, NY 11571-5002
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply