Access Services Librarian
Position Title: Access Services Librarian
Supervisor: Associate Librarian Head of Electronic & Access Services
Grade Level: 4
The James E. Tobin Library at Molloy College is seeking an energetic, service-oriented and collaborative professional to serve as its Access Services Librarian. The ideal candidate will be on the front-lines to ensure the highest level of patron services are provided to students, faculty and other members of the Molloy community. The position includes: oversight of access services-related tools and technologies, supervision of patron services staff and functions across multiple shifts, stack management and developing/maintaining policies, procedures and workflows related to the department. As a member of the library's full-time professional staff, reference, instruction and collection development/liaison duties are also an expectation of the job. The hours are 35 Hours per week. Monday through Friday and while somewhat flexible, but should range between late morning/early afternoon start e.g., 11-7, 12-8, 2-10.
Essential Duties and Responsibilitie:
- Oversees administrative operations regarding access services, including study spaces, public computers, printers and scanners within the main library and the Information Commons
- Supervises and oversees library circulation, patron services staff, per diem library assistants and student workers; responsible for training and scheduling
- Ability to perform all circulation functions, processes notices and reports, as well as resolves complex circulation problems
- Responsible for developing documentation and maintaining polices, workflows and procedures related to access services
- Oversees stack maintenance that includes: reshelving, collection shifts, inventory projects and general participation in the weeding process
- Collection maintenance and access management responsibilities for a small collection of single title e-journals and streaming media, including renewals, activation/deactivation and troubleshooting
- Collects and monitors statistics on access services-related activities as well as collection area(s) of responsibility for annual report
- Performs reference shifts as scheduled
- Provides Information Literacy instruction (either classroom or one-on-one) as assigned
- Other library-related duties as assigned
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited school required
- A minimum of two years of experience within an academic library setting
- Demonstrated supervisory and training experience
- Strong commitment to patron service; ability to work with a diverse patron population
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload to meet deadlines; take initiative to identify and act to resolve problems and lead by example
- Strong proficiency and trouble-shooting capabilities with personal computers, office applications and peripheral devices
- Advanced bibliographic searching skills, including extensive knowledge of academic databases, ejournal and ebook platforms
- Ability to work effectively and creatively in a rapidly changing library and college environment
- Ability to function both as a team member and a team leader
- Preferred experience with Voyager ILS, SerialsSolutions, ILLiad, ARES, Springshare products (e.g., LibGuides, LibCal) or equivalent
- Responsibilities include interviewing, training, supervising, and evaluating student workers and staff within the Patron Services area
Tools and Equipment Used:
Desktop computer, including spreadsheet and word processing software; copy machine; fax machine, printers, and scanners.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Molloy College, an independent, Catholic college, rooted in the Dominican tradition of study, spirituality, service and community, is committed to academic excellence with respect for each person. Through transformative education, Molloy promotes a lifelong search for truth and the development of ethical leadership.
All Molloy College employees are expected to display an understanding of and a commitment to the College's mission and core values; foster relationships with a spirit of inclusivity, compassion and respect; appreciate and celebrate differences and support a welcoming and hospitable environment that is responsive and helpful to all members of the Molloy community and beyond.
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to:
Office of Human Resources,
Molloy College 1000 Hempstead Avenue
Rockville Centre, NY 11571-5002
An Equal Opportunity
Women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply