To catalyze Long Island to become a national leader in developing, promoting, and implementing sustainable solutions to environmental and quality of life challenges.
The mission of the Sustainability Institute is to serve as a core resource on environmental excellence, and to promote positive solutions that advance the three dimensions of sustainability, economy, environment and social equity, for both the students & faculty of Molloy College and for the larger Long Island community of which Molloy is a part.
Sustainability is a multi-disciplinary approach to configuring society to satisfy present human needs without depleting the resources necessary for the future. This is accomplished by preserving natural resources, protecting ecosystems and biodiversity, and by constructing societal and economic systems that promote social equity and use resources wisely.
Core Values and Methods
- To promote transformative education both on and off campus.
- To provide a convening function that reaches out to Long Island's civic and environmental leaders, business executives, and government officials.
- To help students gain an understanding of how social change is accomplished, while developing their leadership skills to better serve both their future professions and the larger community, through classroom presentations and experiential learning.
- To develop, and foster understanding and informed discussion of positive, innovative solutions to problems facing Long Island.
- To bring a regional focus to efforts to implement concepts of sustainability.
- To tenaciously pursue solutions which may require sustained, long-term efforts.
Core Purpose and Goals
- Curb global warming.
- Reduce environmental toxins.
- Improve public health.
- Promote smart planning that provides sustainable land use.
- Promote communities and life-styles that are sustainable and affordable in the long-term.