- Provide an overview of the energy industry including emerging trends, issues and economic drivers.
- Identify relationships between regional and local supply and demand dynamics.
- Establish a platform for leading change that speaks to improving the quality of life and cost of living on Long Island.
Governance and Taxation
- Provide resources and information that will enable you to:
- Be more of an active and engaged civic leader
- Understand the taxing structure from the federal to local level
- Navigate the local political structure
- Effectively lead change in a multidimensional political landscape
- Decipher the breakdown of your tax bill
- Identify the current state of land use on Long Island
- Describe the challenges of regional planning
- Identify the challenge of competing priorities to coexist and work together to achieve a balance of open space and affordable housing
- Confront bias & myths about poverty
- Understand the role of safety net organizations
- What are the systemic causes of poverty
- Affirm personal core values /charity to justice
- Differentiate between health and health care
- Understand how health care is organized, financed & accessed
- Identify problems with the current healthcare system
- Looking to the future of health and health care
- Create an atmosphere to feel comfortable engaging in conversations about race & racism.
- Provide a framework where participants/ facilitators are encouraged to reflect and articulate personal experiences.
- Explore the differences, impacts and effects of personal racial bigotry vs. living in a pervasive culture of White Privilege.
- Clarify historical, political and social contexts of institutional and structural racism.
- Explore the effects/impact of structural racism on LI regarding education, tax structure, property values, healthcare delivery, criminal justice, housing/land use.
- Explore education awareness and advocacy efforts on Long Island.
- Identify realistic choices and the plans for the future
- Explain funding related to transportation
- funded improvements for public transportation
- unfunded proposals to improve public transportation
- Make connections with issues from other topics
- identify the commonalities among problems that exist and solutions that need to take place
- Knowledge of Criminal Justice and Public Safety
- Restorative justice and recidivism
- Prosecution and defense, ethics and justice
- Provide a comprehensive understanding about public education in the region.
- Understand the social and educational challenges facing the region's schools
- Understand the sustainability challenges facing the region's education infrastructure
- To understand news literacy and become a more responsible consumer of information and news.
- To use this information and tools available to further regional action and affect change
- Understand what Resiliency means for Long Island
- Determine lessons learned from Super Storm Sandy. Learn about infrastructure in place to address the many facets of preparedness; human needs, socio economic vulnerability and impact. Where do we fall short?
- Identify gaps and ongoing challenges.
- Provide audience with action steps to take for personal and professional preparedness.
For more up to date information, visit The Energeia Partnership.