Enabling Email on your Mobile Device
The following guides are for information only. Settings and screens differ on each device depending on software version, carrier and manufacturer. If you require additional assistance, contact the Helpdesk, lower level Kellenberg Hall, Suite 22. Our specialists will be happy to assist you.
Enabling IMAP and Adding Lion's E-Mail to your Android
You can retrieve your Gmail messages with a client or device that supports IMAP, like Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail.
To enable IMAP1 in Gmail:
1. Sign in to Gmail.
2. Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.
3. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
4. Select Enable IMAP. 5. Configure your IMAP client and click Save Changes.
Note: At this time, it's not possible to enable IMAP while using the basic HTML interface. Use the standard view to see this option.
To configure the 'Email' app on an Android device for access to Google Apps email, just follow the steps below:
1. Enable IMAP1 in your Mail settings.
2. On your phone, press < Home >, then open the Email application.
3. On the 'Your accounts' page, select Next to get started with setup.
4. Enter your full Google Apps email address and password, then select Next.
5. Select IMAP account and then select Next.
On the 'Incoming server settings' page, some fields may be pre-populated. Make sure to change the following:
6. For 'Username,' enter your full Google Apps email address (ex. email@example.com)
7. For 'IMAP server,' enter 'imap.gmail.com'
8. For 'Port,' enter '993'
9. For 'Security type,' select 'SSL2 (always)''
10. Select next.
On the 'Outgoing server settings' page, some fields may be pre-populated. Make sure to change the following:
11. For 'SMTP3 server' enter 'smtp.gmail.com'
12. For 'Port,' enter '465'
13. For 'Security type,' always select SSL.
14. Select next and continue through the setup options.
You can verify your settings from the Inbox view by tapping < Menu > > Account settings.
Incoming settings IMAP server: imap.gmail.com Port: 993 Security type: SSL (always)
Outgoing settings SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com Port: 465 Security type: SSL (always)