Speaking Engagements and Outreach
The Sustainability Institute program director gave 20 public lectures throughout 2010 to environmental groups, churches, Molloy Institute for Lifelong Learning, libraries, mothers' groups, and schools. Total number of people reached: 600+.
- The Sustainability Institute staff provided informational table exhibits at numerous events throughout the year, including:
- US Green Business Council LI's "Show Me the Money" event at the Nassau Children's Museum in January 2010.
- Rock & Wrap it Up event at Molloy College, May 26, 2010
- Newsday Greenstreet public outreach event at Newsday headquarters June 5, 2010
- North Shore Land Alliance Polo event at the Meadowbrook Polo Club, Brookville August 14, 2010
- Port Jefferson Go Green event at Village Community Center, November 6, 2010
- Advanced Energy Research and Technology Center (AERTC) conference at the Hilton Hotel in Manhattan in November 8-9, 2010,
- Vision Long Island Smart Growth Summit, Melville Marriot, November 19, 2010.
- Sustainability Institute staff attended the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) annual Offshore Wind conference in NJ in October, 2010.
- Sustainability Institute staff attended the Stony Brook Advanced Energy Research and Technology Center (AERTC)
- conference in Manhattan in November, 2010.
- Sustainability Institute staff attended the Smart Growth Awards in June and cosponsored the Smart Growth Summit in November, 2010. Neal Lewis moderated a panel of experts on energy issues at the Summit.
- Sustainability Institute staff attended the "Advancing the Choice" alternative fuel vehicle event at Bethpage Park in October 2010.
- The Sustainability Institute program director attended the annual national conference of the Breast Cancer and Environment Research Project (BCERP) coordinated by the National Institute of Environmental health Sciences (NIEHS) in Manhattan in November 2010.
- The Sustainability Institute contributed to the planning and content of an event coordinated by the Stony Brook based Long Island Regional Advisory Council on Higher Education (LIRACHE) on the topic of sustainability. The Directors of Operations of (16) LI colleges and universities participated to discuss efforts they are making towards greenhouse gas reductions, and efforts to reduce toxins on the campus. This event was a lead-up to a conference on this subject that will take place on February 2011 that will also involve staff of the Sustainability Institute.
- Energeia Partnership With an emphasis on “leadership through service” The Energeia Partnership gives proven, ethical leaders on Long Island the opportunity to act as catalysts for change, helping to create innovative and sustainable solutions to the most pressing challenges facing the NY tri-state area.
- Resources for the Long Island Community Not-for-profit resources for the Nassau and Suffolk, Long Island community.
- Suffolk Center Suffolk Center