Molloy is proud to offer a Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) in Theatre Arts in collaboration with CAP21, "America's Musical Theatre Conservatory and Theatre Company."
To audition for the Molloy/CAP21 Theatre Program, call 212.807.0202 Ext. 21.
During their first year, the B.F.A. freshmen spend three days a week taking a variety of academic classes at Molloy's Rockville Centre campus, located less than an hour outside of New York City. The other two days of the week are spent taking classes at CAP21's Eighteenth Street, Manhattan facility. For sophomore, junior and senior years, B.F.A. students will take two days of classes at Molloy and three days of classes at CAP21. See transportation options linked below.
Throughout their eight semesters in the program, B.F.A. students will take a wide range of performing arts classes that will include: acting, voice - both ensemble and individual - and dance.
Note: There is an additional fee of $3,000/semester to cover a portion of the studio curriculum.
Although first-year B.F.A. students are not permitted to audition or participate in performances, they will enjoy numerous performance opportunities beginning in their sophomore year. These performances are held both in Manhattan and at Molloy's new performing arts center, The Madison Theatre.
In their final semester, B.F.A. students may participate in industry showcase opportunities in Manhattan designed to help them secure representation as they launch their performance careers.
How to Apply
Students interested in applying to the B.F.A. program need to do the following:
- Submit a Molloy application or complete the Common Application
- Once admitted, students will then be required to audition for CAP21 with two contrasting 32 bar cuts of a song and a monologue from a published play or screenplay
- Following acceptance by CAP21, the student will then be officially enrolled as a BFA student
For questions or additional information, contact Molloy admissions at 516.323.4000.
CAP21 is an internationally recognized musical theatre conservatory and award-winning theatre company. The conservatory annually trains more than 300 emerging artists through its various programming.
The CAP21 theatre company was honored with the 2012 GLAAD award for Outstanding New York Theatre: Off and Off-Off Broadway, for its production of the new musical Southern Comfort. 2013 marks the fourth consecutive year that CAP21 Residency writers received the prestigious Jonathan Larson Grant for a new musical developed and produced at CAP21. 2013 marked the second time a writer whose work was extensively developed and produced by the CAP21 Theatre Company received The Kleban Prize for Excellence in Musical Theatre Writing. For more information on CAP21, visit www.cap21.org.
- Free shuttle service is provided from Molloy College to the Rockville Centre Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) train station. Shuttles depart approximately every half hour from 7am until 10:30pm during the semester.
- Students will take the LIRR from Rockville Centre into Penn Station (approximately a 40 minute ride).
- Students will take the # 1 train from 34 Street - Penn Station (departs every 6 min) heading Downtown to 18th Street. From there it is a short 2 block walk to CAP21.
- The LIRR offers many ticket price options. It appears that based upon projected travel dates and times for classes, it would be best for students to purchase a Ten Trip Peak ticket for the LIRR as needed. You should consult the LIRR website for exact ticket costs. http://web.mta.info/lirr/about/TicketInfo/
- Regarding the Metro card, it may be best to pay per ride and replenish the Metro Card as needed. There are no discounts for college age students.