Molloy College is proud of its more than 35 student clubs and organizations. Some have an academic foundation or a service learning component, while others are centered around a cultural theme. Below is a list of clubs of particular interest to the Social Work major. We encourage your participation.
Phi Alpha Honor Society
The Department of Social Work is a member of the Phi Alpha National Honor Society.
Eligibility for membership in the Social Work Honor Society must meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
1. Students must be officially declared Social Work majors
2. Students must have achieved sophomore status
3. Students must have completed at least 3 courses in Social Work (3 credits each)*
4. An overall cumulative average of 3.0
5. A 3.5 grade point average in all Social Work required courses taken at Molloy. (Each credit hour has a quality equivalent. The student's index equals the total number of quality points divided by the total number of credit hours for which the student has received quality points. See Grading Policy in current Molloy College Undergraduate Course Catalog, pg. 50.)
*If any of these courses has been completed at an institution other than Molloy, the student is responsible for obtaining documentation of the completion of the course, the grade obtained and is to be included with this application.
The life-time membership fee is $20. Application to the Phi Alpha National Honor Society will be sent out to all social work majors the beginning of each year. After review by the Social Work Honor Society Committee, students are advised of acceptance. The induction ceremony takes place in the spring semester.
The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) is the largest membership organization of professional social workers in the world, with 145,000 members. NASW works to enhance the professional growth and development of its members, to create and maintain professional standards, and to advance sound social policies.
Molloy College Social Work Student Association (SWSA)
Molloy College has an active and enthusiastic Social Work Student Association. The association provides an opportunity for students to meet other students, and support the Social Work Department and the larger community. SWSA is a student-run association that provides members with opportunities to develop leadership and organizational skills.
Students meet together on a monthly basis to plan and implement service and social activities. They work closely with the faculty moderator to identify club activities.
The following is a sample of recent service activities of the club:
- Midnight Run: Students brought food and clothing to the homeless population in New York City
- Boxtown: Students spent the night in a cardboard box in order to raise money for Bethany House, a homeless shelter in Long Island.
- National Alliance of Mental Illness: Students participated in the fundraising walk
- Diaper Drive: Students collected diapers and baby items for Moms in need
- All Hands Long Beach: Students helped to renovate homes damaged in Hurricane Sandy
Our Social Work Student Association Board members also attend the New York Social Work Education Association annual meeting in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. each year. This conference gives them additional opportunities for developing leadership skills and networking with students from programs across the state.
Our Student Association is a group of passionate students committed to promoting social justice and the dignity and worth of all people. Come and join us! Make a Difference!
For more information, contact Dr. Susan Bliss at firstname.lastname@example.org