Academic Standards and Requirements
In accordance with the mission and goals of Molloy College, the Deartment of Modern Languages strives to:
- Develop students' communicative competence in Arabic, ESL, French, Italian and/or Spanish
- Foster and broaden an understanding and appreciation of other cultures
- Build a sense of responsibility in the local and global community
- Prepare students for graduate studies and professional careers in business, communication, education, government, health sciences, social work and related professions
Students will be expected to:
- Demonstrate communicative competence in a language other than their own.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of a given culture other than their own and a cultural competence in a language other than their own
- Identify specific characteristics of a given culture and compare and contrast it with other world cultures.
- Reinforce and further their knowledge of other disciplines through the study of a foreign language and culture.
- Show evidence of becoming life-long learners by participating in multilingual communities at home and around the world and by using their linguistic and cultural competence in their professional careers or for personal enjoyment and enrichment.
Placement for Language Courses
To determine proper student placement within the modern language program, the department will consider each student's experience with a foreign language, such as number of years of high school language, grades and A.P. scores. After the first week of each class, the department reserves the right to evaluate the student's language credentials and to re-assign them to a class more suited to their ability and performance, if necessary. Courses are usually taken in sequence.
General Education Requirements
The Modern Languages' general education requirement is 3 or 6 credits. All courses offered by the department meet this requirement, except for SPA 370 and SPA 461. Please note that all courses follow a sequence and that placement is dependent upon language experience.
Concentrations for the interdisciplinary studies majors are offered in Italian and Spanish. A minimum of 21-credits must be taken in any of these two areas and must include SPA 417 or SPA 418 for the Spanish concentration and ITA 410 for the Italian concentration. A minimum of nine (9) credits must be in advanced courses (300-/400-level) taken at Molloy College. All courses must be selected in consultation with the department chairperson.