Why I Love Teaching at Molloy College
- The College's Dominican Tradition (Mission Statement)
- Student centered institution
- Supportive of faculty development
- Public Speaking
- Family Communication
- Introduction to Communication
- Interpersonal Communication
- Organizational Communication
- Professional and Business Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- Research Methods
- Gender and Communication
I believe Communication courses are necessary for the development of interpersonal skills, oral and written skills, critical thinking, and negotiating skills to ensure students a more successful role in public life. It is important that students leave the classroom with a better understanding of their choices and options as communicators. I aim to provide students multiple strategies for working towards their life goals and an increased sense of self-ability to face communicative challenges along with way.
Doctor of Education in Communication, October 2006 - Columbia University, Teachers College, New York
Dissertation: A Comparison of Prime-Time Situation Comedy Fathers and Real Fathers on Involvement, Communication, and Affection.
Master of Communication and Education, October 1998 - Columbia University, Teachers College, New York
Thesis Topic: Social Construction of Educational Rap Messages on Adolescent Development.
Master of Arts in Education and Communication, October 1993-Columbia University, Teachers College, New York
Bachelor of Arts in Social Science, May 1991-Columbia University, New York
- Ten Little Indians
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
- Social Intelligence: The Revolutionary New Science of Human Relationships
- Symbols, Selves and Social Realities
Fathers and the Media: Introduction. Fathering: A Journal of Theory and Research about Men as Parents, Vol. 7, No. 2, (Spring 2009): 113-117.
Perceptions of Fathers in the Media: In Search of the Ideal Father, Training Curriculum, NY State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance Department. Social Perceptions, Race and Identity, Review of Typecasting: Arts and Sciences of Human Inequality, by Elizabeth Ewen and Stuart Ewen. Journal of Social History, 38 (4) (Winter, 2007): 162-166.
Review of Babes in Tomorrowland: Walt Disney and the Making of the American Child, 1930-1960, by Nicholas Sammond. Scope An Online Journal of Film Studies, Issue 8 (July, 2007). Available online at http://www.scope/nottinghma.ac.uk. "The Evolving Images of the American Father on Network Television (2001-2006)," An Online Monthly Newsletter on Real Dads and Real Issues. (June 2007, p.4). Available online at http://www.realdadsnetwork.com.
Review of Watching Daytime Soap Operas: The Power of Pleasure by Louise Spence. Scope An Online Journal of Film Studies, Issue 7. (February, 2007). Available online at http://www.scope.nottingham.ac.uk.
Review of Race, Gender and Leadership: Women in Leadership by Patricia S. Parker. Advancing Women in Leadership Journal 21 (1) (Summer, 2006). Available online at http//:www.advancingwomen.com.
Developed documentary on the images of fathers in the media and how children perceive those images, produced by the New York State Fatherhood Initiative Program.
Developed interviewing questions along with a curriculum for non-for-profit organizations and high schools about the Ethical Choices: Dealing with Diversity and Conflict in School. Produced by PBS-TV.
- Victor Williams, "Media Literacy and Masculinity", Connect!ons: Consortium for Media Literacy" May 2010.
- Interview with Jody Johnston Pewel, Host of Parents Tool Talk Radio Show aired "Fathers and Fatherhood" 6/12/09
- Joshua Payne, " Local Organizations Involved in Fatherhood First Conference," Daily Democrat Newspaper, May 27, 2009.
- Images of the Aging in Popular Culture: Have they improved? Discussion at St. Mark's Church, May 19. 2009.
- Carpenter, Kristopher, "The Funny Man - The Affect of Sitcom Dads on Our Children's Expectations," Big Apple Parent Magazine, December 2007.
- Derrick Pratt, "Students Make More Room for TV Daddy," Detroit Free Press, June 17, 2007.
- Elias, Marilyn, "Study: Real Fathers Fail to Measure Up to Televised Versions," USA Today, June 14, 2007.
- Diuguid, Lewis, "Men, Beware of those Television Stereotypes," Kansas City Star, June 13, 2007.
- Aguirre, Mary Lou, "Today's TV Dad Just Don't Cut It," The Fresno Bee, June 12, 2007.
- "Media Representation of Fathers." Research Presented by Dr. Scott Coltrane at the National Council of Families in the 21st Century, October 27, 2006.
- Pericon, Victoria, "Father's Role in Childrearing," Savvy Mommy, June 2006
- Zupsansky, Dale, "Women in the Workplace," Diversity Monitor, April 2006 Issue.
- Bender, Jonathan, "Improving Office Communication, The New York Post, April 30, 2006.
- Wicker, Leslie, Gender Issues in the Workplace, LA Times, April 2006.
- Nebenzahl, Donna, "Mars and Venus Alive and Well in the Workplace," The Gazette: Canada.Com., March 2006.