Academics Standards and Requirements
Students who wish to declare speech-language pathology as a major should apply to the program director. The following criteria must be met:
- An overall G.P.A. of 2.5
- Completion or registration in the basic science requirement of a physical science and a life science
- A personal essay as described on the application
Policy of Academic Progression in the Major
Students are required to complete all designated courses in the major. Prior to admission into SLP440 Clinical Practicum, students must have completed the following classes:
- SLP 271 Anatomy and Physiology
- SLP 273 Phonetics
- SLP 274 Introduction to Speech Disorders
- SLP 372 Language Acquisition
- SLP 374 Disorders of Communication
- SLP 375 Evaluation and Treatment Methods in Speech-Language Pathology
- SLP 376 Clinical Experiences with the Speech, Language and Hearing Impaired
A minimum of a grade of C must be attained in each of these classes in order to progress into SLP 440 Clinical Practicum.
A minimum grade of 3.0 is necessary for recommendation by the major advisor for application to graduate school in Speech-Language Pathology.