History of Molloy College
Molloy Catholic College for Women was established in 1955 by the Sisters of St. Dominic of Amityville under a provisional charter of the University of the State of New York. This was accomplished with the guidance of the Most Reverend Thomas E. Molloy, Archbishop of Brooklyn. The absolute charter was granted in 1960 with the power to confer the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science.
A major in nursing was introduced in the college in September 1955, with the first capping ceremony in 1958. The nursing program received accreditation by the National League for Nursing (NLN) May 1969.
In 1971, the name of the college was officially changed to Molloy College. In 1972, through a charter amendment, men were permitted matriculation in the nursing program. By a vote of the Board of Trustees in 1982, men were admitted to all Molloy College programs. Molloy College is accredited by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. At present, Molloy College awards degrees in more than 30 areas of concentration.
The nursing program has grown in size and stature over the years and at present, has the largest number of majors on the college campus. The Degree Completion Program for Registered Nurses was implemented in the fall of 1971. In January 1988, the college welcomed its first graduate students who enrolled in the program leading to a Master of Science degree in Nursing. Post-Master's certificate programs and the dual degree program for Registered Nurses and second degree students were implemented in 1994. The nurse practitioner programs were initiated in 1995.
The last NLN site visit was in October 1992 and the Division of Nursing (graduate and undergraduate programs) received full accreditation. In 1998, the program was granted full ten-year accreditation by the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In January 2004, the interim report to CCNE was accepted. The full program was again reaccredited by CCNE for another eight years, until 2016.
In July 2006, the department became a division within the College.
The Molloy College Nursing program has an excellent reputation in the professional Nursing community in the New York metropolitan area. Our program has grown in size and stature over the years, and at present, has the largest number of majors on campus. Since its inception, there have been thousands of nursing graduates from the undergraduate program.
In September 2010, the division of nursing accepted the first doctoral students.