An internship is required for all Communications majors. In order to secure an internship, students must have completed their sophomore year and have a 3.0 GPA overall and in their major. Students must also have a resume and cover letter. Contact the Molloy College Career Development Center for assistance.
Students preparing to apply for an internship should review the following check-list:
1. Meet with the Internship Director, Dr. Janice Kelly, to review career goals and placement opportunities.
2. Complete a public relations or video production class prior to applying for an internship.
3. Review your resume and cover letter with the Internship Director.
4. Interns work a minimum of 10 hours per week for 12 weeks of a semester or 8 hours a day for 15 to 17 days of the internship or summer semester. Attendance and punctuality are important grading components of the internship.
5. Interns must follow all rules and regulations of the company or agency hosting the internship.
6. Interns must maintain a weekly journal describing their internship activities. The journal is an analytic tool designed to help you think through different aspects of your internship and should not be used to merely record events of the day. The journal will be hand-delivered or emailed to the Internship Director at appointed times throughout the internship.
7. The internship requires a final analytical paper (6-10 pages) relevant to the work experience.
8. Complete a mid-term internship progress report and a final evaluation report.
9. If applicable, maintain copies of all work done or participated in (e.g., news releases, articles, video or new media production) and submit them with your final evaluation report.
The following learning outcomes should be your objective while undertaking your internship:
- Time management - Arrive on time and meet all deadlines.
- Organizational skills - Ability to prioritize work and organize tasks.
- Dependability - Supervisors and colleagues can count on you to deliver agreed upon tasks/projects.
- Self-motivation - Understand the tasks/projects to be completed and show initiation in completing those tasks. Ask questions when necessary.
- Follow through on unfinished or ongoing projects.
- Oral and written communications - Contribute to meetings and exercise opportunities to express yourself in spoken and written form.
- Interpersonal skills - Show ability to work well with others and in teams. Be prepared to accept criticism.
- Professionalism - Dress and behave according to the company's culture and norms.
- Technical skills - Learn on-the-job skills helpful to your chosen career path (public relations, feature writing, videoography, editing, etc.)
If you have questions about internships or wish to set up a meeting, contact Dr. Janice Kelly, Internship Coordinator at email@example.com or 516.323.3244.