Societies and Scholarships
CHI BETA PHI
Alpha Sigma Chapter
National Scientific Honor Society
Advisor - Chris Massone Ph.D.
Officers: Sept 2011 - May 2012
Co/Presidents: Adora Santos/Amada Caputo
Co/Vice-Presidents: Sylvana Rodriquez/Samantha Walther
Treasurer: Christine Kiernan
Secretary: Dara DiFranciso
On Campus Activities:
- 2012 St. Baldric's day event - presented information about the past, present and future of cancer research.
- Nancy Abrego, Cristina Calderon, Cristina Florival, Adora Santos, Amanda Caputo, Christine Kiernan, Samantha Walther and John Trofemuk served as judges for the 2012 Molloy College Science Fair.
- Raised $150. for Lupus research at two Molloy College events: outside the Madison Theater during a Performing Arts Club event and outside the Public Square Multi-Purpose room during the 2012 Chi Beta Phi Induction ceremony.
Social Activities of the Chapter:
Twenty-two new members were inducted, with pride into the Alpha Sigma Chapter at a special ceremony held prior to Honors Convocation on April 24, 2012 at which all current members attended.
Honors Awarded to Chapter Members (Honors Convocation/Graduation 2012):
Adora Santos received first Honors in Biology
Amanda Caputo received Honorable Mention for excellence in Biology
Christine Kiernan was the recipient of the Therese M. Hughes Biology Award
Adora Santos was named to the Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges
Our Chi Beta Phi Members also gave enthusiastic service to the Molloy community through:
- ACE (Academic Enrichment) and other tutoring programs
- Supplemental Instruction
- Molloy College Open Houses
- Molloy Student Government
- Accepted Students' Day
- Freshman Orientation
- Global Learning Trips
"CHI BETA PHI has brought me a sense of great accomplishment. Having the opportunity to associate with others who are going through the same process is priceless." - Kiani Brooks, Class of 2013
"Becoming a part of the CHI BETA PHI made me feel a sense of accomplishment that I was joining a family with people who can identify with this time of my life and who will be able to guide me in the future." - Cristina Trevino-Gutierrez, Class of 2012
"It is a great way to connect with the faculty and students involved in the Biology Department." - Allesandra Gennarini, Class of 2013