St. Mary's University College
During the last semester of their teacher preparation program, Molloy College Education students have the opportunity to do their student teaching at St. Mary's University College in the suburbs of London, England. Over the past few years, Twinkenham
Molloy student teachers have had the opportunity to successfully complete their student teaching in British schools. We are fortunate to have a new affiliate for this program this year - St. Mary's University College. Molloy students who fulfill their student teaching requirements at St. Mary's will be evaluated using New York State Education Department guidelines. Student teachers are supervised on a weekly basis by St. Mary's faculty and Molloy Division of Education faculty. All evaluation documents used are sent back to Molloy to be added to the student's professional folder. In addition, Molloy student teachers communicate via e-mail on a frequent basis with a Molloy College Education faculty member. Molloy College Division of Education is in constant communication with St. Mary's in order to monitor our students' progress.
Student teachers reside in the international student residence and have the opportunity to live and work with students from American colleges and universities as well as students from aound the world. Student teachers are placed in either elementary or special education classrooms and experiences at both primary and intermediate level are included, as required by New York State. St. Mary's has offered the opportunity for secondary student teachers to participate in this program as well.
St. Mary's has fully-equipped professional resource centers in which state-of-the-art teaching materials may be borrowed for use during student teaching. In addition, each student is given an e-mail account and Internet access.
Weekends and academic recesses provide numerous opportunities for travel within Britain and Ireland as well as to the continent. Scotland and Wales are just a short train ride away and Ireland can be visited in a weekend.
Upon returning to New York, student teachers are encouraged to include their student teaching abroad experience in their professional resumé since this indicates that the participant is able to adapt to new cultures and transfer teaching skills to new situations. Such an experience makes a teaching candidate more attractive for school employment once back in the States. Molloy students are highly encouraged to consider this wonderful opportunity and take advantage of it.
For more information about the International Program at St.Mary's click here.
Most student rooms are single study bedrooms. Some halls are single-sexed. All halls have telephones and there are two television lounges on site. Residential wardens are readily accessible to students who need help or advice. Full board catering is available with many other options - coffee bars, social bars and restaurant. Self catering is available in some accommodation.
- Semester date
- Semester Date
- March 15 for Fall Semester or for the academic year
- November 15 for Spring Semester
- Tuition: £3300 [approximate $6600 per term]
- Student Teaching Fee: Approximately $200
- Accommodations: http://www.smuc.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/index.htm
- Partial Molloy Tuition: $620.00 per credit for approximately 4 - 6 final education credits to be completed upon return from St. Mary's
- Global-Learning Fee [Payable to Molloy]: $500 [payment must be made prior to departure]
- RT Airfare to England: $400-$800. Check current fares by calling 1.800.777.0112.
- ** It is the responsibility of the student to check current currency rates for an accurate cost of tuition, room and meals.
- Enrolled in good standing at an American College or University
- First semester or second semester senior
- Education GPA of 2.75 minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Recommendations from three current instructors from students home college or university
- Proof of completed and passed NYS Teacher Certification exam
- Approval of Molloy College Division of Education and Global Learning Advisor.
- Reasonably good health