- Ambleside Salutation Hotel: Lake Road, Ambleside, Cumbria LA22 9BX [tel: 015394-32244 /fax: 015394-34157].
- St. Martin's College / Fairfield Hall: Rydal Road, Ambleside LA22 9BB [tel: 01144-15394-30300 / fax: 01144-15394-30305] Offers inexpensive accommodations in their dorms during the summer months. See Mike Russo for details.
- The Priest Hole [Church Street, Ambleside]: Simple eatery located in the heart of town.
- Lucy's on a Plate [Church Street, Ambleside]: A bit pretentious and overpriced, but the food is good.
- Dove Cottage [Wordsworth's house in Grassmere; £5.00]; Rydal Mount [Wordsworth's home--just outside of Ambleside; £5.00]; for Cruises on Lake Windermere go to Bowness Pier.
- The Edinburgh Woollen Mill: Located on Crag Brow Lake Road in Bowness-on-Windermere, the store has a nice selection of Scottish woolen products. [The company's main stores are located in Edinburgh at 62 and 139 Princes Street].
- From London Euston trains go to Oxenham [3 1/2 hours], where you can catch a local train to Windermere. Frequent trains depart from Lancaster Station [about 1 hour; £9.00 each way], but most go only as far as Oxenham.
- For travel between Bowness and Grassmere purchase a Stage Coach Round Robin Ticket, which allows up to five stops on this route on a given day.
For cabs within Ambleside call Steve's Taxis  or from Windermere call Lakes Taxis