Pediatric Client Learning Objectives
NUP-0212: Care of the Pediatric Client
At the end of this program, the participant will be able to:
1. Describe the pediatric respiratory system and distinguish between respiratory distress and respiratory failure.
2. Identify 3 types of respiratory care and respiratory care priorities for the pediatric patient with respiratory compromise.
3. Describe three common respiratory conditions effecting the pediatric population.
4. Describe the current medications prescribed for pediatric patients with respiratory pathology.
5. Explain appropriate use of peak flow meter and metered dose inhaler.
6. Explain the etiology of congenital heart disease and the difference between inheritance vs. environmental factors.
7. Identify how to recognize congenital heart disease.
8. List three types of congenital cardiac defects and resulting illnesses.
9. Identify treatment and prognosis issues in congenital heart disease.
10. Describe two clinical manifestations of Rheumatic Fever, Kawasaki disease and cardiomyopathies.
11. Describe issues affecting adolescents and young adults with congenital heart disease.
12. (Inflammatory bowel disease) Define IBD as a chronic illness and identify differences between ulcerative colitis and genetic etiological aspects of IBD.
13. Identify how IBD is diagnosed.
14. Describe the systemic effects of IBD.
15 List the goals of therapy.
16. Enteral Feeding: Identify various enteral feeding tubes and methods of administering feedings.
17. Describe potential problems involved in patients receiving enteral feedings.
18. Ostomies: Describe the basic anatomy and physiology of the small and large bowel.
19. Identify types of ostomies and appliances for stomal care.
20. Describe potential patient care problems for patient with an ostomy.
21. Define the common signs and symptoms of eating disorders.
22. Identify the spectrum of eating disorders and 2 prevention strategies.
23. Describe nutrition recommendations in pediatric diabetes.
24. Describe carbohydrate counting as it applies to meal planning.
25. Identify types of musculoskeletal injuries.
26. List basic types of fracture treatment.
27. Describe characteristics and uses of casting materials.
28. Identify key components of a peripheral vascular assessment.
29. Locate sensory and motor nerves in the upper and lower extremities.
30. Discuss the causes and effects of cerebral palsy.
31. Identify the different types of Cerebral Palsy.
32. Identify the aim of treatment/goals and therapies.
33 List the classifications of seizures.
34. Describe: seizure assessment, intervention and management.
35. Identify the causes of hydrocephalus/spine abifida and clinical manifestations.
36. Describe shunt management for hydrocephalus.
37. Define Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA) and medical management.
38. Identify three routes of HIV transmission.
39. Describe how HIV infects the body.
40. Identify two tests used for diagnosis of HIV in children.
41. Identify the difference between HIV and AIDS.
42. List three common medications used in pediatric HIV.
43. Identify factors that are unique to this population.
44. Identify 5 types of hepatitis and route of transmission.
45. Identify characteristics of hepatitis type A, B & C.
- Registration How to Register