- Awards at Madison Theatre gala Molloy College held the second annual gala at the Madison Theatre, on Nov. 16, honoring The Hispanic Brotherhood of Rockville Centre Executive Director Margarita Grasing.
Community Leadership Award
This award is presented to an organization/individual who provides leadership through mentoring and community programs; and who practices exceptional business principles while demonstrating the ideals of the Molloy College mission.
The agency, a not-for-profit organization, was established in 1984 by a small group of Hispanic residents in order to assist the fast growing population of immigrants from different Spanish language cultures. As the size of the Hispanic population has grown, so has its original service area. The agency serves four surrounding municipalities: Freeport, Oceanside, Lynbrook and Baldwin under grants from the NYS Division of Housing & Community Renewal, Nassau County Youth Board, Nassau County Department of Senior Citizen Affairs, CASA, LI United Way, as well as support from foundations and local churches.
The agency provides a wide range of resettlement services, an After-School Child Care and Tutorial Program, and the Hispanic Brotherhood Senior Citizen Club. Resettlement services include housing and employment counseling (including housing referrals and job placement), translation, immigration and legal assistance, naturalization and citizenship counseling, advocacy for individuals and groups in disputes such as tenant/landlord and employer/employee; and emergency food.
The After-School Child Care and Tutorial Program is provided for youth from the ages of 5 to 17. The program is provided five days a week from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. for the 5 to 12 years old and from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. for 13 to 17 years old. The tutoring sessions are under the direction of four certified teachers. The program works with the schools attended by the youth to coordinate the learning process. Transportation is provided by the agency for children attending the Rockville Centre School District, Oceanside School #5, and Plaza School in Baldwin.
The Hispanic Brotherhood has a bilingual and bicultural Board of Directors. Volunteers from many civic and religious organizations serve in an advisory capacity to the board and the agency. The agency is administered by the Executive Director, Margarita Grasing.
Margarita Grasing has been the Executive Director of The Hispanic Brotherhood of Rockville Centre, Inc. since 1984. She has been able to combine an outstanding career in the nonprofit sector and service a growing Hispanic community on Long Island. She is married to Robert Grasing and has a wonderful family, Marguerite, Kathleen, Robert and four grandchildren, William, Stephen, Margaret and Rebecca.
Over the 27 years that she has managed the agency, she has successfully developed programs to assist the growing Hispanic community. The agency provides an After School Tutorial Program for students 5 to 12 with an employment program for students 14 years and up. Our Senior Nutrition Program runs three days per week and has over 300 seniors registered. Families are assisted with our Housing Counseling and the Foreclosure Prevention Program. Employment, Immigration and entitlement assistance is also provided.
- Past Charter Commissioner of the Nassau County Commission on Government Revision
- Member of the Cultural Competency Community Advisory Council of Winthrop Hospital
- Member of the Nassau County Coalition of Youth Agencies
- Member of the Advisory Committee of the Long Island Index
- Member of the Long Island Neighborhood Preservation Companies
- Member of the New York State Hispanic Housing Corporation
- Past Chair of the Nassau County HIV Commission
- Past Co-Chair of the African-American Hispanic Coalition of Nassau County
- Past Vice-President of the Nassau County Hispanic Association, Inc.
- Past member of the Executive Council of United Way of Long Island
- Past Member of the Board of Trustees of Catholic Charities
- Past Appointed Member of the Village Business Improvement District (BID) Committee
- Past Member of the Interfaith Council of Rockville Centre of Rockville Centre
- Past Board Member of CASA Cubana Inc.
- Past Board Member of the Rockville Centre Educational Foundation