Irish Studies Institute Events
2/4/16 - Honorable Barbara Jones, Consul General of Ireland, Madison Theatre, 5 p.m.
Please join us as the Consul General shares information on Irish history and the commemorations of the Easter Uprising's 100 Anniversary.
2/6/16 - St. Brigid's Day Festival - Celebration of Gaelic Culture, Reception Room, Kellenberg Hall, 10am to 3pm
Come celebrate the ancient Celtic feast of Imbolc (and St. Brigid's Day) with a feast of Gaelic culture! We'll have free, hands-on workshops in the morning for you and your children to learn more about traditional Gaelic culture followed by performances in the afternoon.
2/13-5/14/16 - Irish Language and Gaelic Culture Classes
Each level is comprised of 12 classes. (No classes on Saturdays, March 26 and May 7). Using Progress In Irish and Buntus Cainte Lessons, students enrolled in Molloy's Irish Studies Language Program will be able to progress from true beginner to advanced Irish speaker while learning Gaelic Culture. Total of 8 levels (or demonstration of proficiency) will be required to receive certificate of completion.
- Level 1 Beginners I - True Beginners (no previous Irish) - 12 classes ($160, children 25% discount $120). 10:30 a.m. - 11:50 a.m.
- Level 2 Beginners II - 12 classes ($160, children 25% discount $120). 12 p.m. - 1:20 p.m.
- Level 3 Beginners III - 12 classes ($160, children 25% discount $120). 1:30 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
- Level 4 Beginners IV - 12 classes ($160, children 25% discount $120). 10:30 p.m. - 11:50 p.m.
- Level 5 Intermediate I - 12 classes ($160, children 25% discount $120). 12 p.m. - 1:20 p.m.
- Level 6 Intermediate II - 12 classes ($160, children 25% discount $120). 1:30 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
- Level 7 Advanced I - 12 classes ($160, children 25% discount $120). 10:30 a.m. - 11:50 p.m.
- Level 8 Advanced II - 12 classes ($160, children 25% discount $120). 9 a.m. - 10:20 a.m.
Each level is $160; discounts available for multi-family registration, seniors and for those members of the Irish Cultural Center in Mineola. Register for an upper level, and you can take refreshers at the lower level. Scholarships also available.
2/26/16 - Irish American Writers and Artists Salon, Reception Room, Kellenberg Hall, 7:30 p.m.
Irish American Writers and Artists (IAW&A) members from New York City will join artists from Molloy College for an IAW&A/Molloy College road salon in which artists of various genres will give presentations of up to ten minutes each. The IAW&A holds salons twice a month in Manhattan. Visit http://i-am-wa.org/salons/.
4/17/16 - Wogan Family Lecture - Ireland 1916, New York 1916, Larini Room, Public Square, 3 p.m.
Molloy faculty discuss the 1916 Easter Rebellion 100 years later from the viewpoint of someone in Ireland at that time, and historical accounts from New York.
5/7/16 - May Day Festival, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
The ancient Celtic feast of Beltaine on the Irish calendar signaled the approach of summer and evolved into the May Day celebrations still celebrated today. Join us for our own May Day celebration with Irish song, dance and festivities. Special Guest appearance by Paddy Noonan who will be our a keynote storyteller/musician at a luncheon that day. $10/pp for lunch.
Detailed information can be found on our website.
For more information regarding any of the events listed below, contact Catherine Tully Muscente at 516.323.4710 or email email@example.com.